Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
Spencer518

Paper under vinyl floor

I'm removing a vinyl floor in my bathroom and installing tile over Ditra. This remaining paper is a really hard to scrape off the plywood. It's super thin and in some cases is taking up some of the wood underneath. I'm using flexbond as my modified thinset under the Ditra. Can I apply it over this paper that won't come up? If not, is there some secret to getting the paper up? It's so thin, I'm not worried about the Ditra being smooth, just adhering. The floor scraper I bought just isn't working well.

Name:  IMG_4942.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  39.3 KB
Unread 04-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Spencer, I've combined the four threads I found for this bathroom project here for continuity. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

You can install over whatever you like, but you really wanna remove that paper or your Ditra will be bonded to nothing but wet paper that may not be very well adhered after the thinset mortar cures. Up to you.

Wetting the paper before scraping might help a good bit. Hot water is better than cold in many such cases.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #33
Spencer518

Thanks for combining the threads CX. I guess just calling it Spencer's Bathroom Remodel would be fine.

Wetting the paper seems to be helping. Thanks for the tip.
Unread 04-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #34
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I'm late to the party Spencer, but it looks like some kind of thin underlayment there for existing vinyl. Best if you could just remove that and kill two birds with a single stone?
Most of the time it's simply stapled down and fairly easy to remove.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #35
Spencer518

Threshold on Ditra?

I finally got all the paper off left over from the vinyl. I ditched the floor scraper for the scraper attachment on my Dremel multitool. It was slow going, but got the job done.

Now I'm ready to layout and cut my Ditra. I'm putting in a marble threshold. Do I put Ditra under it or put it directly on the plywood floor? My floor tile is a basic basket weave mosaic. The tile is 3/16 inch thick, the Ditra is 1/8 and the threshold is 1/2 . So the tile on the Ditra is 5/16 + thinset under and over Ditra. I'm not sure how much thickness the thinset will add. What do the pros do here?

One other question. When I walk in the room now, the floor is sticky from the glue that held the vinyl floor down. Is this okay to leave? The paper is all gone. If it's not okay, how do I get the stickiness gone?

Last edited by Spencer518; 04-15-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Additional question
Spencer518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #36
cpad007
hack of some trades

You might try sanding the plywood, Spencer, to pull up the stickyness.

Acetone might also work but try it in a small spot to see. I think it would be okay to use a solvent to get it up as acetone readily evaporates but some here think it might leave a residue behind that might impact thinset's ability to bond your Ditra to the wood. Therefore, a mechanical cleaning...like sanding...might be the preferred route.

After sanding, clean things up real well. Leave no dust, dirt, grime, sawdust behind. Wiping up with water should work fine. A sponge and a rinsing bucket of water helps.

I think it is your choice if you want your threshold over the Ditra or not. It'll add a bit of height to it being on the Ditra.

DIYer-us Extrem-us Non-Pro-us

Chris' Orange Tile Project
cpad007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #37
Spencer518

I just called Schluter Systems and they told me to use a speedset thinset over the mastic.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not at all sure what purpose the use of a rapid setting mortar is supposed to serve, Spencer. Better you should ask the mortar manufacturer about the use of the product over that remaining glue residue.

I would still recommend removing as much of it as possible and my first try would be dusting the floor with pure Portland cement, waiting maybe an hour, and trying a belt sander. May not work, but I'd try it anyway. do wear a good dust mask.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 04-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #39
Spencer518

I decided to switch to plan B or what Carbidetooth said. I thought the plywood was glued to the OSB subfloor. But it turns out that it was stapled down. I ripped it up. Wasted 3 hours scraping the damn floor, but at least I know I have a good surface for the ditra and regular modified thinset to go under it.
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #40
SSK

Curious about the recommendation here because this looks exactly like my mid-80s home. Right down to with the matching vinyl, left over paper, and staples. I was told by the tile experts that the underlayment which in my case was luan had to come out. Pretty adamant about that. My understanding was that luan had the tendency to delaminate or swell with any moisture with any moisture and that it compresses. Also it provides no real strength in the sandwhich. I actually could see the compression under my vinyl. In the areas where people walked the luan was compressed. In this case, you are seem fine with not removing this underlayment. Is that because using Ditra does not require you to remove this? Or is this underlayment likely not luan? Or has the mindset on this changed? Again, this looks just like mine. However, same issue with me, it was easier to pull up than to try to chisel off that paper. On my first bathroom I did not remove it (along with a lot of other mistakes and lessons learned), and luckily had no problems so far.
The rest of the house I hardwooded, and getting that out was more difficult. Had to get it out for height issues. I had to cut it out around cabinets and other structures. Had to often use a dremel because crevices were to small to get a toe kick in.
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

Lauan plywood must be removed from the subfloor for any ceramic floor tile application, regardless the tiling substrate to be used, Pete.

Last edited by cx; 08-27-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #42
SSK

OK that confirms what I thought. So does that mean the underlayment in the picture is likely regular plywood and not luan? I did not see that mentioned, and I was confused. So regular 1/4inch plywood is fine to leave?
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #43
Spencer518

I'm not an expert, but I think what I had was plywood. It's seem to have more grain to it than the luan. But I ended up ripping it up and installed over the OSB.
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
So regular 1/4inch plywood is fine to leave?
I wouldn't. There is no commonly available 1/4" plywood that is suitable as part of a structural subfloor.

I was/am not aware that the OP had any 1/4" plywood on his floor.

Unread 04-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #45
Spencer518

gap at tub flange

My tub seems to be not level in the middle along the long wall. The kerdi board is level. The tub lip dips 3/16 in the center. Both ends are the same height. I was planning to start a full coarse of 3x6 subway from the tub up. I'm guessing now that I need to make it a partial course so I can trim the tiles on the ends to hide that the tub deck isn't level. Is this how best to handle this situation? Any alternatives?

Name:  IMG_4968.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  28.4 KB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase