Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
jzucosky

travertine paver patio

I just completed a travertine paver patio. It is outside under a pavilion. Concrete base then ditra then pavers set in thin set. I have a couple of questions. I want to use a sealer and enhancer and then grout. The instructions for the sealer (Miracle 511) say not to get it in the grout lines. It would be impossible not to get it in all the porosities of the travertine. The grout lines are narrow- should I use sanded or unsanded grout? When the grout dries how is it sealed? Another coat of sealer over everything or use an additive like miracle grout shield.
Thanks for your help.
Jack
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Jack,

1- If you take your time and use a foam roller with a light touch you can seal just the tops of the tiles. A little will get on the sides but not enough to lose sleep over.

2- For grout lines 1/8" and under use non sanded. FOr grout lines 1/8" and over use sanded

3- Seal > read the grouting tutorial found in the lye bury inn decks > grout > wait 3-7 days > seal > maybe seal again to get the desired look.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jack, Welcome!

As Paul mentioned, wait a minimum of 72 hours before sealing the grout.

If you're starting with an enhancer, and you're happy with the grout color after it cures, you can use a non enhancing solvent based impregnating sealer concentrating on the grout, but can carry it over the enhanced stone. Be sure to not let any excess sealer dry on the surface.

I also suggest TESTing a spare tile first. You want to try to get a darker color grout to mesh with the enhanced color of the stone. It is rare to achieve desired results when enhancing grout.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase