Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
estone06

Update on where I am.....

I am framing out my niches. I would like to have 2 just to have them.

1.I am curious about what you gys think about my placement.

2. In my head, I am planning on using 12'' tile and so am planning the dimensions to to the same size as my tile so it flows better. Do the 2x4's need to be covered with sheetrock inside the niche since I am using kerdi? If so, 2 tile height would be 24'' minus the grout line, plus an extra inch for the sheetrock right?

sorry to make the pics sideways....
Attached Images

Unread 08-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
estone06

^^bump^^
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. I think you should axe Mrs. Eddie.

2. I think you should lay out the whole wall on the floor with spacers for your chosen grout joint and measure very carefully.

Then I would suggest you measure very carefully again.

Then I would suggest you make you a story pole or poles with marking for each of critical lines.

Then I would suggest you axe Mrs. Eddie one more time.

Then, and only then, would I suggest you install the framing and sheetrock (yes, alla lumber must be covered with sheetrock, but different thicknesses are available if convenient), and tile the wall.

My opinion worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
estone06

CX, thank you for the reply. I appreciate you letting me know that any and all lumber is to be covered with sheetrock!
For any of you on the forum I will be posting update pics among my many questions that of course will also be posted. You guys are great!
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
estone06

1.If i fill the hole will I have to set the kerdi drain, or is there a way to use a pvc pipe sticking out of the mix to attach the drain to at a later time?
-------if the drain needs to be set when i do this then I may just wait until everything else is tiled and then do the floor.
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would recommend you patch the hole in the slab using a short section of 4" PVC pipe as a form around your riser pipe. You'll need to remove the 4" pipe before the concrete completely sets up, but after it's firm enough to keep its shape. Or you can use a 4" PVC coupling set flush with the grade of the floor and just leave it there. It's important that either be very well centered around your riser pipe so's your Kerdi drain will fit.

I never even consider installing a Kerdi drain until the shower is tiled, and sometimes grouted, from ceiling down to the floor with the exception of the bottom row of tile, so long as that allows at least four inches of space to finish my floor Kerdi to wall joint.

Look inna whirl-famous Liberry under Kerdi Drain for the dimensions for purpose of cutting your riser pipe come time to glue it in.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Story pole, made with the actual tiles with the actual spacers you are fixin to use. One row horizontal, one vertical. If you have an inset, include that too.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
estone06

CX, thank you for the response, I will most likely wait until all the walls are tiled and everything else is finished and just fill it in when i do the mud bed for the floor. Besides, that will give me more time to watch the videos and research the roughing in of the drain. I would really hate to screw that up.
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
estone06

So as an update, I am almost finished putting Kerdi up on the walls as well as the niche and bench. Also, set the drain, and backfilled it after the drain was set. Also, built the curb with just one row of house bricks.
I also picked out the tile and lucked out with the bullnose as it was available for me.

The tile is 12x12 and the bathroom floor tile is also 12x12 with 1/4 inch grout line.

1. So my first question is since I want to run with a 1/4 inch grout in the shower as well would I be okay using epoxy grout?

2. I would like to use granite for the top of the curb as well as the bench and the niche as well as 2 small corner shelves, I of course do not have the needed tools to cut and polish the granite so IF ANYONE READING THIS IN THE GREATER HOUSTON AREA HAS IDEAS LET ME KNOW PLEASE! I live just south of Houston and a local granite dealer told me it was a minimum of $175 per cut even on the scrap pieces. I couldnt believe it!!!!!
Thanks everybody for the help and advice thus far, you guys and girls are awesome. I will update with pics sometime tomorrow.
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

1/4" grout joint is on the large size but if that is what you like, no problem. I would use Laticrete's Spectralock epoxy-based grout.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #26
estone06

Almost completely done with the kerdi. I think I will leave the niche like it is until I get tile up to that point. I will also do the mud floor when I am finished with all else.

1. What are your suggestions for a layout on my shower. I dont even know what height to hang the ledger....my tiles will be 12x12 and the grout lines will be 3/16".

2. I am attaching a pic of the shower as it currently is so everyone gets a decent idea for their suggestions. Should I start on the back wall facing out?

3. What height should I install the ledger to start the layout and begin tiling?
Attached Images

Unread 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
estone06

bump^^
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

Eddie, all our help herabouts are volunteers. Sometimes a fella might hafta wait more than half an hour for a response, eh? Please be patient.

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
estone06

CX, thanks for the reminder. Patience has always been an issue with me, my apologies. Anybody out there that can respond to my past posts?
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #30
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Eddie, I would start on the back wall. Figure out where the second row of tile needs to start and nail or prop the ledger board there. The bottom row can be installed later when you do the floor. Alot of guys like to slide the floor tile under the bottom row of wall tiles. You can do it this way if you want.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase