Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, the grout spacing is always 100% of the gap between tiles....now the tile spacing will determine that actual space...

The bigger the tile, the more important it is to have a very flat subfloor. With tile that large, you may want to consider something like the Tuscan tile leveling system. If the tile are actually warped, though, maybe not, running them in the pattern you intend. It would let you ensure the edges of at least each row are even, but can't compensate entirely on the edge where a joint meets in the middle of a tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Pabs

yeah.... floor is pretty flat.
I used SLC before putting the DITRA down.
but there is one high spot in one the rows that is making one tile rock a bit.. enough that I can't leave it like that .

what options do I have for a rocking tile? it's rocking on the 24" length. the hump is almost smack in the center.

in my mind I have 2 options.. .
1) build up the mortar of the rows around it so that I can install that one flush. not crazy about that option because If I miscalculate the amount to build up by then I have to undo a lot of tiles to start over again...

2) and, I realize this would be a hack,,, I thought what if in the small section I'm dealing with I where to remove the top layer of DITRA (the actual waffles) .. we're talking a very small section.. a few square inches max. just enough to remove that hump.. I realize that this is a hack but I don't have a lot of options as far I can see it.

I only noticed that hump after the DITRA was down over my SLC.. a complete re-do for that would be wasteful and crazy in my opinion. so I'm not even entertaining that option

I'm really tempted by option 2...essentially hacking ONE tile instead of having to fudge every tile to bring it to the level of the messed up one

make sense? is there another technique I could use to fix that hump? I can't think of anything else
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
bbcamp

Cut out enough Ditra to expose the hump in the SLC. Grind down the hump, install a new section of Ditra.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Pabs

well...ideally I would do that but I have in-floor heating.. .grinding down could make me hit a wire...now that would truly suck!
if it weren't for the cables I would totally do that

but if you look at the entire floor what actual side effect can removing a small section of Ditra really have?

other than looking ugly and not being perfect, what possible side effects can this truly have?... I'm talking about a space smaller then the palm of your hand.

I mean, sure, that section would not be 100% water proof, but then again I'm not making the joints (between sections of DITRA) waterproof either.
so, that's not a real huge concern...as for the decoupling effect, I don't think that small section could actually have a real effect on the overall floor. If it did then would you not have the issue with joints. that is one long line of mortar going from sub-floor directly to tile... if you add up the overall area of all the joints you would probably have something as big if not bigger than what I intend to do!

am I wrong in thinking this?
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As long as you get 100% thinset coverage underneath the tile, I thing you should be okay.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Pabs

@jadnashua
what do you mean? you mean I would be OK to remove the DITRA as long as I don't leave a void without thinset under that tile??

if I remove that bit of DITRA I would plan to fill it with thinset as I'm laying down the tile
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

I was trying to figger out what you might have for a subfloor, Pabs, from the previous couple threads that appear to be for this project, but couldn't.

You wanna cut out the Ditra and leave a void to tile over, it's certainly your call. I'm relatively certain you'll not find any testing on that procedure from the manufacturer, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
Pabs

hi CX

sub floor...

I have 3/4 inch ply, 1/2 ply over (with enough screw to hold the house down).
heating cables
SLC
DITRA
and soon , tile

so , the idea I had was to simply cut out a small section of that DITRA and fill it with thinset before I lay the tile down
so there would be no void. for that small section the thinset would actually be touching the SLC.
from the tiles perspective, there would be no diff.. .it would be nice and solid... the only draw back is that you lose some of the decoupling effect.... but like I said earlier, how big will that loss be? I guessing minimal... .but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Pabs; 06-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

We'd all be guessing.

Good luck.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #25
Pabs

hehe... experimental tiling! i like it!

still haven't made up my mind.. I'll post with my final decision later

thanks
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #26
Pabs

ok...so I trimmed a bit of the Ditra off, a very small section and it was enough to remove most of that hump. I will correct the rest with the thin set.

however I did run into a bit of a problem that I only noticed last night

neat the shower base I noticed the last tile was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the rest... thought for a second that I may have installed the shower based off level..check that and it was fine..turns out the SLC did not make it very well to that corner and I never noticed...so now the DItra is on and I have to deal with it..

is it ok to build up with the thin set? and if so am I better off applying a skim coat first to bring that corner to level , letting it dry and installing the tile over that?
I assume using SLC over Ditra likely isn't recommended? or would that be the way to go?
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
bbcamp

As bad as this sounds, the best way to fix this is to pull the Ditra up and apply the leveling compound of your choice, then install new Ditra. Ditra wants only the minimum amount of mortar between it and the tile.
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Pabs

that does sound bad...
I mean the section I`m talking about is fairly small...8 inches by 8 inches roughly where it dips. how bad can it if only in that section I build it up?
I want to avoid pulling anything out mainly because of the heating cables below... if I start messing with that I run the risk of damaging something and then I'm really up the creek!

when you say DITRA does not like having much thin-set between it and the tile...why would that be? if thin-set sticks to DITRA and mortar stick to itself and tile...why would the thickness matter? how would it fail?
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
bbcamp

Ditra will peel up easily from a corner. We advise folks not to pick at it, but they do and get freaked about how easy it comes up.

You can install another layer of Ditra over the sunken area. That will be approved by Schluter.

You can skimcoat the area and fill with thinset if you want, but neither Schluter nor the thinset manufacturer will honor any warranty claims as both products will be used outside their allowable tolerances.
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
Pabs

so I could "shim" it with a piece of Ditra??

I would lay some thinset, lay the "shim" on top and then apply more thin set over top of that?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase