Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Longshot_HN

I called my plumber just to see why he put the studs so far apart. He actually agreed it is too far and is planning on stopping by to remedy the situation. So 1 issue down, 1 to go.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #17
Longshot_HN

How to construct benches from schluter.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...ements/benches

So I'd be making a simple rectangular 36" Long x 17" High x 15" Deep free standing box with a couple of foam supports in the middle like they show on Schluter's site using 2" Kerdi Board and thinset. Then I'd take the side of the box and attach it with thinset to the wall on the short side.

A glass panel would be mounted standing on the top of the backside of the bench which would serve as the back of the shower enclosure like a knee wall. Then at the far side of the bench opposite the wall where the first glass panel starts a 2nd panel would need to be mounted at 90 degrees. So that's alot of heavy glass that will probably need to be supported by the wall and the bench since it needs to make a 90 degree turn in an L configuration for the shower glass. I updated the sketch with bold black lines where the glass will be.

Can foam really support all that weight as if I made it out of wood? I prefer the foam to wood as a building material for my shower seat if it really can perform under load.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 18.09.14 - Bathroom Layout.pdf (86.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
rmckee84

Can it hold the weight? Yes, but if I was building it I would probably still have wooden framing wrapped with kerdi board. Only because I would prefer to have some solid anchor points. I am not saying that you can't build it only out of foam, I'm only stating that for my own piece of mind I would have a little framing inside.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
makethatkerdistick

I agree with Ryan. When heavy glass is involved, I'd go for something structural as well. You could still use Kerdiboard to build your bench. I like my Kerdi corner bench but when I knock on it, it does sound hollow. Not the most comforting thought to have heavy glass attached to it.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #20
Longshot_HN

So if I build a skeleton out of studs with plywood on top, I could put a 1/2 piece Kerdi Board on top with Kerdi screws and then skirt it with 1/2 inch Kerdi Board all around as if I were just hanging it on normal studs, just smaller. Kerdiband all around and then I should have a waterproof bench that is anchored. Sound good? Would I want to thinset the top piece in place to the plywood top or just screw it in?

For the curb, would you say that could just be made of Kerdi Board or just throw down a 2x4 stack and skin that in Kerdi Board too? May bear some weight depending on the glass install needs, but I don't think it as structurally significant as the bench. I'd rather just make the whole curb out of Kerdi Board because after all of the screw holes I'm going to essentially have to wrap the whole curb in a kerdi membrane which seems silly. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I make curbs from 2" Kerdi Board on edge, no problem holding up glass. Bench framing I use screws and PL Premium. Rock solid is what you want.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase