Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
JoeC
Tile and Marble Contractor in So.Cal

dull spots on travertine from spill

Hi guys
I did a cross-cut polished travertine 12x24" floor, tight joints, some months ago. I sealed the floor with good quality sealer
My customer had friends visiting for a week from China. They evidently spilled something ?? on the floor , which left several dull spots in a small area across 2 tiles. Stone was very slightly darkened. I tried wetting the surface with rag soaked in acetone, that didn't help much . So made a poultice, but the dull spots didn't go away.
So I am looking to lightly polish that area with some very fine sand paper on an random orbital sander A stone restoration guy I know told me to get 400 to 800 grit dry sandpaper discs. Haven't found any over 400.yet I have diamond pads, but have never been very impressed when using them to polish or bullnose stone.
Does this seem like the right process?
Any practical suggestions would be appreciated
JoeC
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Inter Stone Tools

Send a message via Skype™ to Inter Stone Tools
The dull spots are etch marks caused by anything containing acidity(sodas, oj). If you use sand paper or diamond pads the area that you will work on will always look different and you will notice it anyways. I wouldn't touch it and use only 5extra polishing compound to bring back the shine on the travertine. Luigi
Unread 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Stone Dude

depends on how deep the etch is. If you cannot feel it, a polishing compound by itself will likely make it go away. If you can feel it, it will need to be honed first, either with sandpaper or diamond abrasives, then finished with a polishing compound.

Sand paper will work fine on travertine. Depending on how large of an area you need to do, you might even do it by hand without a machine, if it's confined to a couple of tiles. Otherwise you definitely want a machine. A random orbit or vibrating palm sander is okay with sandpaper, provided it always stays flat and you don't run it up over any of the tile edges.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase