Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
Unregistered

hardibacker:thin set required?

So I'm laying down 1/4 hardibacker over old 3/4 plywood subfloor- 12" travertine tiles to go on next- my question- do I need to use thinset between the plywood and the hardibacker or can i just screw/nailit down?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Unregistered

I believe that you can just screw it into the joists, use plenty of screws, 6" apart
Old 09-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

THe thinset must be used under the CBU. It helps to fill the minor imprefections and supports the CBU over it's entire surface.

You probably should double-check your sub-floor, too. Stone needs a very strong sub-floor, and (normally) 3/4" of plywood is not enough.

How thick are your joists, how long is the longest unsupported length, and how far apart are they? At the top of the webpage, click on Deflecto. It will help you determine if your subfloor is acceptable for stone.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

What Jim said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Unregistered

thanks for all the advice! I used the thinset-I'm working on a bathroom and the longest span im working on is only 6 feet so i think im good!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Nope, won't do. We don't care how wide is the space on top of the joists, we need to know the span of the joist between supports below it. It's important, as is the rest of the information Jim axed for. The further you go before you find out your subfloor isn't suitable for tile without improvement, the more you gotta tear out. Either now or later when the cracking starts.

And please register and give us a first name to use. There are a lot of "unregistered"s on here at any given time and you could get lost inna shuffle.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase