Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
jas_il

Removing and replacing small area of mosaic tile

We recently installed a new tile floor and electric supplemental floor heating in our small bathroom. Unfortunately, after working great for a couple of months, the temperature sensor in the floor seems to have fritzed out (readings are jumping all over the place, and are much higher than the actual floor temp so heat no longer comes on).

It looks like we will likely have to dig out the floor sensor and replace it. The path of the floor sensor is only about 2 feet long from the wall to the sensor itself.

The floor is 1" hex mosaic tiles applied with thinset over about 1/4" SLC (enough to cover the heating wires) over 1/2" permabase. The floor sensor is embedded in the SLC.

I am wondering if anyone could provide suggestions on how best to do this repair job. I do have plenty of extra tile to patch in the repaired region.

Would a dremel be useful for removing grout and cutting a trench into the SLC to dig out the old sensor wire? We have to be a little careful to avoid damaging the actual heating wires (2" spacing) while trying to relace the sensor between them.

I was planning to dremel / chisel out a small "path" of tiles, then dig out the wire itself, replace the sensor, skim coat with thinset, and then replace the tiles removed. Does it seem feasible to do this in such a way that the repair will not be terribly noticeable at the end? Any suggestions for tools / techniques?

Thanks very much !

- Jamie
jas_il is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
WadeJ

Jamie,

There is a chance that it isn't the floor sensor that is faulty but the thermostat. Have you talked to the manufacturer of the thermostat?

I work for an electric floor heating company, WarmlyYours, and in my experience the floor sensors very rarely fail. Usually it is the thermostat. Feel free to call me on 800 875 5285 ext 812 and I'll work through a few things with you to determine if it is the floor sensor.

If it is the floor sensor, there is no reason why you need take the old one out to add a new one. You can install the new sensor on the edge of the heated area, as long as it is about 1" away from the outside wire. This won't give you as accurate a reading but it will still give you a variation in temperature so the thermostat will work correctly and it may be much easier then what you are thinking about doing.

Feel free to call or email me

Wade J
WadeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #3
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Wade, great to see you!

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase