Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
Pixy2548

Black marble table polishing issue

Hello everyone, I have some etch spots and I just tested wet polishing pads on electric drill (100 to 6000 grid) and I did use water, it does makes it smooth but now I have circle swirled all over... What am I doing wrong? Will try to attached some pictures.

And I I think I can already feel a dent in a table. Am I going to make a hole in a table top?
Unread 10-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, pixy.

What grit are you currently at that you see swirls?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2021, 01:40 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

When you get it polished, you'll likely see a dent in the reflection. You have to do a bigger area than just where the etched area was. And, the area will probably need to get larger with each grit.

You're sure this is marble and not granite? That's a whole different animal.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Need a pic of the stone to help with final results. Expecting this to be like sanding a piece of wood in simplicity is a mistake.
Unread 10-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Each finer grit removes the deeper scratches from the coarser pads, and then makes new ones. Eventually, you may need a polishing compound and a buffer pad versus sanding pads.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Pixy2548

hello every one, here is some pictures. You can see there few white spots, and scratches too... i did use all the grids and was hoping that scratches will disappear, but no.... And i do have a buffing pud too (will try to send an image)
Attached Images

Unread 10-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As you change grits, you want to clean the area off well in between to ensure there's no loose particles left over, or you'll be spreading those around and scratching it anew. Then, before you can go to the next finer grit, you have to get ALL of the previously created scratches removed (and you'll be making finer ones that will need to be removed with the next finer grit). You keep doing this until you find the results satisfactory. You may need to end up with a polishing compound, but keep in mind, that, too, needs to be finer than the last grit you used, or it won't do anything.

So, with the coarse grit, remove all of the scratches, clean things off, switch to a finer one, and keep repeating until you're happy...

When the panel was made, they ground the entire surface flat...because you're not grinding the whole surface, you'll be making a depression at least the depth of the scratches you're trying to remove, and as mentioned, you may see that as a distortion.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

A variable speed grinder is what’s needed for this, pad needs to stay flat continuously and using a drill isn’t the best tool. You really need to do the whole table, rule of thumb is when you think you got all the scratches from the previous pad go so more, and some more after that. Only way to get this back to factory is oxalic acid at the end.

You would be better off sanding with a orbital sander to 200 grit and putting a enhancer to get the color back.
Unread 10-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
Pixy2548

So I should start with 100 grid again and just do it longer? can I press on it a little? I am scared to make a hole in a table ....

so how do i know that it's time to move to another grid?

I thought that any kind of acid will destroy table?!!!!

should I use enhancer to get the color back after grid #3000?

as I understood there should be no visible scratches after grid #800-1000 , correct?
Unread 10-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

You won’t make a whole in the table. Yes you need to start over with 100 grit. After each pad squeegee the marble off and let it dry. If you see any swirls from previous pad you have to keep going. Each pad is removing the scratches from the previous. No downward pressure let the pad do the work.

The acid is made for polishing stone to a high polish, but it will also etch it if left on too long or splatters are left to sit. It’s part of the process.
Unread 10-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #11
Pixy2548

Tile & Stone Guild , Thank you for reply!

But still even after I use #1500 grid I will see the circular marks and no shine, correct?
....no scratches , but some marks (just like on the photo, on the edges I did use #3000, may be wasn't doing it for too long but I see the circular motions even on this pictures)
Unread 10-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #12
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

If you still see scratches above 1000 then you have to start over. You will see swirls but not scratches. Especially on the lower grits keep it wet, helps keeping a rogue diamond scratch.You can try the buff pad going wet to dry but the powder will give a better and quicker result.
Unread 10-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #13
Pixy2548

Do I have to use both the oxalic acid and the color enhancer? or just the acid will do all the job?

Can I get oxalic acid from Walmart? as a powder? it's says "Excellent Rust Removal, Iron Stain Removal" not sure if I can use it on marble? or is it need to be a specific one?

how should I use acid? sprinkle on aria, add some water, use a paper towel and rub by hand (or a buffer pad)? and then few days later use a regular marble sealer?
Unread 10-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #14
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Wait until you see how you do polishing before you buy it, it’s specific to the stone industry Walmart doesn’t carry it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase