Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-08-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
G.Wills

Wrong pre-slope material

I used Custom Building Products "Custom Float" for my shower pre-slope. The cement board is up. I thought I was ready to tile the walls. Browsing the forum I found that that Custom Float is not deck mud (like the Home Depot guy told me it was).

Do I need to tear it all out and put in a new slope? I noticed it had cracked when put the pan liner in, but it seemed to be solid.

Glenn
G.Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-08-2003, 05:44 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I am not familiar with the product,but a crack is not necessarily the end of the world if it feels solid.I would want to know more about the product before i advised you for certain,but a skim of thinset to fill the crack may be in order.Perhaps someone familiar with the product can chime in.If no one jumps on this today, i'll check technical specifications this evening and get back to you.
Unread 08-08-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
bbcamp

Did you get a good slope? That's about all the preslope is for. A couple of cracks aren't the end of the world, because you will be putting down a PVC or CPE membrane and floating a mortar bed (you will use the right stuff there, right? ). I'd say that as long as the preslope is confined within the wood framing, it's not going anywhere.

Work some soupy thinset down into the cracks to help bond the pieces together. Isn't necessary, but it can't hurt either.

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 06:11 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

OK, the product is designed to be used at 1 1/4" thick minimum.it can be used over concrete,exterior grade plywood.Not for use over OSB etc.If you met the minimum 1 1/4", I wouldnt worry about it.If you used it at only 1/2" or so, it may break up on you over time and could cause problems.your call.Good Luck, if you were close to the minimum, i would fill the crack and just go ahead.
Unread 08-08-2003, 06:34 AM   #5
G.Wills

Here is a link to the product description.
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...omfloat_ds.htm

I got a good pre-slope, but the thinkness at the drain is about 3/8". It looked fine except for the crack... I've already put in the pan liner and cement board.

Glenn
Unread 08-08-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
Gil Smith

Nobody ever said "deck mud" was designed for use at 3/8" thickness,either, and I doubt any manufacturer would back it up for that use, but it serves the purpose.

Pros.....correct me if I'm wrong, but the preslope is just a form for the pan liner, right? If your preslope is solid IMHO I don't see aproblem, cracks or not. Probably had a liitle to much water and shrinkage is occuring but it's not going anywhere.

Theoretically, I think you could have used used some of the brownie mix my wife baked last winter.....probably had about the same compressive strength, and I'll bet it wouldn't have cracked.
Gil Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 11:03 AM   #7
bbcamp

Gil, does you wife know where you are?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM   #8
Gil Smith

Yeah, she knows.....but she's not likely to browse this board, is she?

Seriously, after 39 years, she's heard it all.....that's why I do most of the cooking around here. We've had that arrangement for many years and she likes it that way, but I think she makes those brownies every once in a while just so I don't forget why.
Gil Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
G.Wills

Thanks Gil... of course, that is what I want to hear, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate to bury problems. The slope is definately solid.
Unread 08-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Glenn,

No problemo. I think Gil is the guy who's gonna have problems if his wife decides to look over his shoulder while he's typing. If we don't see him around for a week or two we can speculate as to the severity of his injuries.

For all,

Custom Float is a brand of synthetic wall mud (fat mud). It's very sticky and meant for shower walls, etc. There are similar products everywhere. They come in 50 lb. sacks. The aggregate is synthetic, so you get quite a bit of bulk without the weight of sand. Our local product is called "Wall Mud." It's made by a Texas company called Tex-Rite.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase