Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
pktaske
Nick B

PK's 5x7 Small Bathroom Remodel - almost done

I'm about ready to rip out our small BR. I'm on a slab and we have one small window on the far (obviously outside) wall. All I've done so far is look at tile and I'd really like to make this more like a shower/wet room vs. put in another shower pan/curtain. I'd also like to get input from others on some nice looking ideas. Pictures are always good.

Additionally, my first problem is that we have high iron in our water (15ppm +). Although we treat it enough not to taste it or stain our clothes, it still gets through in small quantities. This means a lot of grout lines on the floor is going to be trouble (ie-rust stains). This, I think, eliminates the option of tiling the floor in the shower area unless someone can point me in a better direction. Would epoxy grout hold up better? While I'd like to get rid of our 48"x 32" pan, do they sell one piece shower floors?

As an FYI, this is the wall tile we've decided on:
Attached Images

www.stillsmallvoice.info

Last edited by pktaske; 10-18-2011 at 10:19 AM.
pktaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
pktaske
Nick B

High iron water - epoxy based grout the answer?

Even though I treat the water, the iron levels are so high that some still invariably gets through. I'm doing a second bathroom over and really wanted a tile floor for the shower but it seems even sealed 'normal' grout would be a nightmare. Would the epoxy grout make a big difference (ie-does it seal to a solid impermeable surface like the tile itself?). Right now I have a 48"x32" shower pan but I want to blow out a false wall to use the full length of the bathroom and make it 60"x32".

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Nick,

Epoxy grout would certainly help. That type of water is a hard nut to crack, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Is that a natural stone tile or a look-a-like? Hard to tell from here.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
pktaske
Nick B

It's a look alike.

I'm very discouraged about the iron water. I really want to go to town on the BR but, to be frank, the headache of keeping up with grout sucks. I did read some encouraging posts on the net regarding epoxy grout and it's non-porous sealing qualities. I could always use a darker grout but not sure how that would mesh with this tile color.

A Marriott I was at last week had full (3/8"?) granite sheets as a shower surround. That would solve the problems with the walls. Do they make full shower pans out of stone? A bit slippery but that's what they have mats for.

Need ideas!

Thanks...Nick

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
pktaske
Nick B

Kerdi Trim Profile treatments

I like the idea and look of the Kerdi Rondec, Jolly, etc vs bullnose for my ceramic/porcelain shower. Besides the BN being horrifically expensive ($8.99 per piece vs the $4.99 sq ft for the 13x13's!), it also takes that much more planning in setting and measuring vs. being able to set the Schluter as an end point at the edge of your work and just cut a 'regular' tile to fit.

My questions:

-Does anyone have any experience in working with these and maybe some pictures to share?

-My preference is the stainless but I'm using a multi-colored shale type tile so maybe a darker color is best?

-I remember seeing a video of a concave type trim that you can actually use in the shower floor and edges vs caulk/grout but cant seem to find it on the Schlueter site.

Thanks to this forum that has made the choosing of the tiles in regard to color and style the hardest part of my upcoming remodel! Seems there are answers here for everything else...!

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
cx
Da Home Builder

The inside corner trims I think you're looking for are called Dilex-HKW. They're on the Schluter website.

It'll take some searching, but if you enter "schluter trim" into the Advanced Search feature you might find threads with photos.

You can also enter the name of the particular trim you want and see what you can find under that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
pktaske
Nick B

Thanks CX. Amazing how I could have looked at that site for 10 minutes and missed it!

I did a few searches before posting but was deluged by hugely long posts that had peripheral references to the treatments in question. I will assume these are just as good as all of Schluters other products and proceed with using them.

I'l be posting before pics soon. I start ripping things out this weekend....

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Next time try the Advanced Search and ask for Titles. If no joy there, ask for Entire Posts but select your Results to be as posts rather than threads. Narrows it down a bit.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
frankey

Send a message via ICQ to frankey
I also have hard water ( Treated ) so when I built my shower I used marble tile walls and I used a recycled rubber product for the floor. It has been in for 2 years now and have had no problems.
Here is a link to the rubber floor.http://www.rubbercal.com/elephant_bark.html
P.S. If you install over Kerdi use 3/16 v notch trowel on both surfaces
Kevin
Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
pktaske
Nick B

Looks like it would work but it's a bit too much function over form for me.

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
pktaske
Nick B

Water Damage

Guys - Just finished gutting the entire bath and came upon some water damage. This was where the shower curb perpendicularly met the far wall from the shower head. As you can see, it's an outside wall and I'm on a slab. I need advice on how to attack this repair. I've cut away the floor stud section that was pretty eaten up. The ones on either side are pretty solid for the most part but you can see that small sections of sheathing is soft at the bottom. I will also note that the floor stud is not bonded with the slab for about 30" as I can move it when I pry it with a screwdriver (pic 2). I am particularly worried about this as the metal flashing for insect protection is corroded and I need a good seal between the slab and stud.

This area is easily accessible from the outside. I just want to do this right before I put up my insulation, sheetrock and Keri. Thanks...
Attached Images

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Nick,

If you still have plenty of solid wood there I would leave it alone. I may not be understanding the situation, though. It happens.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
pktaske
Nick B

I'm going to use some epoxy wood filler to shore things up.

www.stillsmallvoice.info
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
dlarrivee

I'm going to commit a sin on this site and suggestion an acrylic tub/shower.

I would not want to be the one who put all that work into a nice tile job only to have ti ruined by rust and be constantly trying to clean it up.
dlarrivee is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase