Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Gec

2x4 Niche with no waterproofing

New to this forum. Just had a bathroom tiled by a professional who said the niche would be waterproof. My daughter was home and said he tiled right over the wood. Is there any way he could have waterproofed the niche with the cement he used to install the bullnose? Walls have PROVA board as waterproofing. Does the niche need to be torn out?
Attached Images

Unread 05-26-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Gecco.

If he bonded tile directly to the lumber, then it's not waterproof. There are a number of pre-formes boxes out there that are waterproof and ready to tile over, but they would be visible before the tile was set.

I guess you could just ask him what he used and see how it goes from there. Or if the shower hasn't been grouted yet, look at the grout joints and see if there is anything other than bare lumber.

If you go so far as to remove a tile, or to have him do it, prepare to compensate him for the time and effort if you find out your suspicion was incorrect. I'd try to be pretty sure I was right before taking that step.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Kman

By the way, what does that picture in your first post represent?

Unread 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think Prova board has a foam core similar to Wedi and others. If so, I think you're fine.

edit: I just reread the original post. I see Kerdi and Prova board. I guess I don't understand what "tiling right over the wood" means? I don't see any wood.
Unread 05-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

I think that's what Kevin was getting at, too, Jim. I don't see any wood, either.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Gec

Picture descriptions

Hi!

Thanks for your response! The picture is what was taken before he started tiling. The walls have the Prova board and this is a picture of the niche before tiling that my daughter took. He put up the Prova and I think covered the niche in am? He started tiling about 5 minutes later so I didn’t see it myself. It looked like some kind of paper or something was put over the 2x4 outline? The problem is when I asked about it, he said it was waterproof and I didn’t need to worry but I can’t get a straight answer as to what was used. The job has been paid but I don’t want water leaking behind the niche. The wall backs onto a bedroom.
Unread 05-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
makethatkerdistick

Was the Kerdiband directly attached to the framing? if so, that's a big nono. If there's something behind it, then you're probably good.

Also, there seems to be a seam of the Prova board going through the niche? Is that just a print on the board or an actual seam? If the latter, was the seam sealed?

Last, does the bottom of the niche has a slope towards the front/drain? Put a level there and tell us. If so, then that'd be good.
Unread 05-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Is this picture daughter took close to before he put tile up? So it was just a 2x4 sides of the niche (red)? So the corners are a worry(green),. The back seam ( red) he just put some caulking on it. . He didn't overlap the kerdi 2 " on the back wall or corners. Directly on wood is no good. Do you know the original width? Usually the width is 14.5" to insides of studs. If it's now like 14" then he prolly didn't even put 1/4" hardi.
Attached Images

Unread 05-27-2019, 02:53 AM   #9
Kman

My guess is, he covered the lumber with Kerdi, and cut it at the junction with the Prova board, then put a bead of caulk there. That's what it looks like to me.

If I'm correct, the outside corners would be the weak points. As for the Kerdi-to-lumber issue, who knows if that'll hold or not?

Unread 05-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

This is what I see. It looks like there's 1/2 inch something on the top. I know that doesn't prove that all four sides are wrapped in backer board but I'm not sure we should be automatically suspicious that something was done wrong.

Name:  prova board img.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  29.1 KB
Unread 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Prova is like Wedi, correct?

Since we're speculating, I'm advancing that Prova pookey was used to install Kerdi and that's what all that whitish stuff elsewhere is about.

For a field engineered "my way" it's better than some but certainly not in accordance with manufacturer's guidance.

As someone suggested, if that space measures something close to 14 1/2", there's a really good chance that Kerdi is stuck to studs.

We may never know...

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
Gec

Questions

All these responses are giving me great guidance. Thank you. The picture was taken 5-10 minutes before the tile was started. I know the 2x4 were visible when I saw it last about 30 minutes or so before this picture was taken. The dimensions of the box before tile (grout line to grout line) before the tile is 14” x 12”. The office designer is willing to come by to look so I am trying to formulate questions. Is there anything now that would tell me if it needed to be redone. Answer I keep getting is not to worry and it is waterproof.
Unread 05-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Kman

The seams would be my main concern. But I don't know what was done after picture was taken, and I can't see the bottom of the niche in the picture.

As mentioned before, the slope is critical. Did you check it with a level to see if the bottom will shed water?

Unread 05-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you have access to, and can afford to make a little slit on the back side of that wall (a manual drywall jab saw for $5 would work well), you can accurately measure the outside width of the stud spacing at the niche...then you can do the math from your front side measurements to calculate how little or much gap there is between the studs and the tile. If the math shows that there’s only 1/16” between the tile and the studs, it makes for a pretty persuasive argument that it’s gotta be done again.

I can’t count the number of times contractors have said, “It’ll be fine” when it’s not. And the homeowner is stuck down the road shelling out more money to fix.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
tatumjonj

What that typically means is "it'll be fine for the next 3 weeks and then you'll never see me again."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase