Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
makethatkerdistick

Bubba, what makes you think there's a quality difference between the profiles and the nickel-finished drain? Both are anodized aluminum. I'd assume they both have the same quality of finish. They both are designed with wet environment in mind.

https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...ta%20Sheet.pdf
Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The drain cover of all Kerdi drains that aren't SS, are anodized aluminum, same as their profiles that aren't pvc or SS. So, I would expect the same issues about ensuring getting them cleaned up after thinset/grout would still apply.
Schluter®-KERDI-DRAIN is a floor drain with an integrated bonding flange that provides a large contact area for a secure connection to the KERDI waterproofing membrane at the top of the assembly.

New! KERDI-DRAIN-STYLE is offered in three stylish designs: Floral, Curve, and Pure
Integrated sloped bonding flange available in ABS, PVC, or stainless steel allows for a secure, topical waterproofing connection
ABS and PVC flange have a 2" or 3" outlet
Stainless steel flange has a 2" or 3" no-hub outlet or a 2" threaded outlet
Drain grate can be laterally adjusted to fit the layout of the tile grid and leveled to the tiled surface
Accommodates wide range of tile thicknesses: 1/4" (6mm) to 1-1/4" (32 mm)
Adjustable grate in stainless steel or various finishes of anodized aluminum
Tamper proof screws and wrench also available
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick
Bubba, what makes you think there's a quality difference between the profiles and the nickel-finished drain?
I don’t know if it’s a difference in the actual coating or in the way it’s manufactured. I’ve seen visual deterioration with profiles, but never a drain (although I’d say that I’d exclude the shiny, heavily coated drain finishes from the context of this discussion).

Ran into my Schluter rep yesterday and he said, “I’ve seen some etching issues from mortar on a profile, but never on a drain”.

Your mileage may vary. Just sharing my experiences.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #19
Animal88

Sorry for the delay in getting back! I just gave vinegar a shot but it didn’t seem to do anything to remove it. I tried to get a couple of closer pictures so that it’s more clear. I was initially worried that maybe I ended up with a counterfeit product since I had to buy from amazon due to speed of shipping. But the Rep I spoke to was familiar with the marketplace seller and didn’t think that would be the case. I guess somebody has to be the first in the world to damage one of these! Since the grate itself is replaceable I will try getting a little aggressive with vinegar and cribbing to see if I can do anything to remove it (in case it is just a film). It sounds like most folks would not advise remove the drain grate assembly at this point. I know that someone mentioned a possible third option. I am open to anything at this point! Thanks again for your help!
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #20
makethatkerdistick

Anthony, there's nothing wrong with trying some more. All the vinegar will do, however, is to slightly remove a bit more of the anodized surface or the aluminum underneath. Not much since it's a mild acid, so you're ok to play with it! Can't harm much! You must realize that your drain is solid aluminum with a thin anodized layer on top that looks like brushed nickel. Ultimately, after many years of service, the plating will come off, anyway. It's pretty tough but it can only withstand so much.

I personally think that aluminum, anodized or not, is a bad choice in that location. I have hard water, and I have personally seen my anodized aluminum door frames corrode. They looked good for a couple of years, though.

I have never seen stainless steel (304 or higher grade) corrode even with hard water. There is a reason for metal kitchen sink makers never using something like anodized aluminum for their products, only stainless steel.

Schluter doesn't have a magic recipe that makes their aluminum drain covers immune to the effects of corrosion.

Last edited by makethatkerdistick; 05-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.
makethatkerdistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #21
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Try a magic eraser sponge from under your kitchen sink. Use it as little as possible in one test spot on your grate.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #22
Animal88

Thanks folks! I will give the magic eraser a shot, nothing to lose. I do agree though, I wish i stuck with the stainless steel drain. No wonder it was so hard to find this one!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #23
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Anthony,. I'm about as Anal as they get. I say get a new grate and forget about the tray. Relax and have a beer. if this is the worst thing going on in your life and my life it is a good day. I think I got the stainless steel drain but it's 58 inch long so I would hate to replace this grate at 450 bucks. So your post will serve as a warning to the rest of us.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #24
speed51133

Were you scrubbing the grate with an abrasive pad? It looks like it. This is probably what caused any surface finish damage to take hold, which I have to say is minimal and hard to see at best.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #25
Animal88

I did try to use a Brillo pad the end result is the same. The texture in the finish was always there even before install. The grate isn’t as bad as the border unfortunately.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase