Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Animal88

Kerdi Drain Etching

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I installed a brushed nickel Kerdi drain last week which was taped with painters tape during the install. A few hours later I took the tape off and noticed some thinset seeped under the tape. There is now discoloration/etching ok the grate itself and the metal border. I spoke to the Schluter rep who said they can send a new grate to me which is nice of them. I was surprised that I cannot find a single similar event anywhere online. The rep did mention that he never saw it happen to a drain before. Has anyone experienced this? The new grate should help but the border is going to be disclosed unless I rip up some time and the assembly and replace it.

Thanks!

Anthony
Unread 05-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Kman

First I've heard of it. I do the same as you with painter's tape over the drain before I grout, then peel it after the cleanup. But I always save the floor for last, so there's no chance of something sitting on the drain even overnight.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Anthony!

Yeah, haven’t had that happen before. Hmmm. Can you give us a close up pic? Maybe we can see something to stimulate a suggestion.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
makethatkerdistick

Seems the nickel finish is plated/anodized with an aluminum or brass substrate. For that matter, I really like the stainless steel as it is solid without any plating to tarnish or wear away. That thinset mortar is super alkaline.
Unread 05-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Animal88

Thanks! It’s hard to get the border on the assembly right now because it’s dark in there but here’s the drain grate itself. The shower has not been grouted yet. The only thing done so far was setting the floor tile. I took off the tape when I was cleaning up about 5 or 6 hours after I started. But I was surprised to see the damage to the finish. If I knew it was that sensitive I would been meticulous about it. The damage to the border is much worse than the damage to the grate unfortunately.
Unread 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
Animal88

Sorry see photos
Attached Images

Unread 05-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
workhurts

I have a little discoloration on some satin nickel Schluter trim because of thinset but a tiny spot so don't care. Doesn't surprise me. They tell you to wipe off the thinset immediately so I'm guessing there's a reason for that.
Unread 05-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Animal88

Managed to get an OK shot of the drain itself.
Attached Images

Unread 05-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
Animal88

Wondering if anyone has any experience removing and replacing the drain grate assembly. I haven’t grouped yet but the etching looks pretty bad and I’m afraid it going to be obvious. How big of a challenge am I looking at? This is tile over kerdi membrane and a kerdi tray. Thanks!
Unread 05-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
Kman

No experience with removing one of those, thank goodness. I know they're pretty difficult to snap into the vertical adjustment collar, so probably more difficult to get out.

If I were going to attempt it, I would try hooking the underside of the drain where snaps in, and gradually pry a little all the way around until you work it out.

One other option might be to cut the metal part of the drain all the way through. That might be a bit more tedious, and dependent on what tool you could find to fit down the opening. I'd save that as a last option.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Fortunately, they're selling the drain and flange separately, so you don't have to buy the whole thing.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #11
Lou_MA

Seems like a slippery slope.

I have same concern as Kevin - that drain body is pretty well connected to the vertical adjustment collar. Which is snapped into the lateral adjustment ring. And both the ring and the drain body are thinsetted in place.

And even if you remove the tiles around the drain to get access, all the force needed to maybe remove the drain might also end up loosening the Kerdi drain flange, especially if it’s over a mud bed. That plastic flange doesn’t have a whole lot of stick against upward forces.

Since you only see the outer edge of the drain, what about using a brushed nickel spray paint?
Unread 05-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
makethatkerdistick

No good options here, I think.
I wouldn't attempt to remove it. It's risky business, compromising the shower's leakproofness. Spray painting it might work to cover it up a bit but I can almost guarantee you that the paint won't last long in that environment.

If you ever do this again, you should strongly consider the unplated stainless steel. You'll always be able to polish that back to its original shine. I've got hard water, and for me that plated stuff at some point gives out in a wet environment. Seen it with one of my faucets that came with a so-called lifetime warranty.
Unread 05-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Hi, Anthony.

Maybe it’s the eternal optimist in me, but I can’t see the photos clear enough to confirm that the grate is etched. That brushed nickel is pretty robust. I’d rather think (‘cause I can’t see any clearer) that you’ve got a thin layer of mortar residue rather than the physical damage of etching. I’d do a test. Use a Q-tip dipped in vinegar to scrub at a tiny bit of the discoloration. If we’re lucky and this is only mortar residue, it will eat away at the mortar and expose the shiny nickel surface without much fuss. After cleaning, wipe the area with a wet rag a few times to neutralize the little bit of acid.

If not, I might have a plan “B”.

You should keep the replacement of the outer ring as ugly plan “C”... ‘cause it could get ugly in a hurry.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 05-10-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You might be able to play with chemically anodizing the thing in place. That might get the color closer, but unlikely to become a match.

I know on their profiles that are anodized aluminum, they're very specific to clean them up immediately if you get thinset on their finished surfaces. Haven't looked at the drain instructions for awhile, but wouldn't be surprised if it says the same thing.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg

Yes, Jim. But that’s their profiles. The profiles are not as robust as their brushed nickel drains. I’ve still got hope.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase