Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #31
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Ben - those CAD renderings are nice! What tool are you using?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, I did notice the different size tile in your shower drawing. I wanted to make sure the joints weren't going to line up from the shower seat around to the niche.

I'm not sure what type of niche you have but I usually place 2x4 blocks between the studs at the top and bottom of the niche. The exact niche placement isn't determined until you tile the wall up to that point.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #33
ben5243

For CAD I'm using Solidworks - it's really not the correct tool for this sort of thing but I make it work because it's what I know. Very tedious. I started modeling the house as practice to learn the software because I use it at work, but it turned out to be extraordinarily helpful for remodeling projects so I keep using it.

I think there is architectural software made specifically for this kind of thing like Autodesk Revit.

Davy-
I'm not sure what you mean type of niche. The niche is framed into the wall, planned at a specific height and width from the very beginning when I did the framing. It's not a pre-formed kerdi-board niche or anything.

I think what I will do is measure tile height + grout width down to where the 2nd row should theoretically start. If I aim low about 1/4-1/8" and the top row hangs down a bit over the opening, I can pad the top inside of the niche with thinset back-buttered to the tile so that it's level and flush with the wall tile. Plus if I work fast enough I can bump the tiles around once I get them on the wall. Using Ultraflex LFT for those tiles (because it's not over kerdi).

Anyway - I had a few hours Sunday to get started on the shower tile.

Setting up the first row and supporting it with 2x4 really took the bulk of the time, plus figuring out the shower ledge then getting the mosaic accent strip to sit flush with the tile (the mosaic was actually a bit thicker than the tile).

I'm thrilled with how it's turning out so far, it's just going extremely slowly.

I wanted to set the tile above the mosaic strip but couldn't figure out how to support it on top of the mosaic strip. Is there a standard practice for this?
Unread 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #34
cx
Da Home Builder

I would use wedge spacers to set the tiles above your mosaic strip if it's already set, Ben.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #35
ben5243

Here's how I framed the niche - it's extra wide so it required cripple studs above and below to pass framing inspection, I couldn't just leave the entire width unsupported. Plus I needed to know the exact keepout zone on the other side of the wall so I could build and install closet organizers and not poke any fasteners into that area.

Here's the current state, just about ready for tile with a laser line where the top of the tile needs to end.
Unread 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #36
ben5243

Quote:
I would use wedge spacers to set the tiles above your mosaic strip if it's already set, Ben.
Well now it's set(dry) so I can do that - but what if I wanted to do the full wall in one day? Is there a trick?
The weight of the 12x24 would easily smoosh the mosaic and buckle the center of it off the wall
Unread 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #37
cx
Da Home Builder

The way I nearly always do those accent strips is to tile both below and above them first, usually tiling up to the bottom of the planned strip first, then using a ledger board to tile above the strip. The accent strip goes in last. Still hafta wait for the top portion to firm up enough to remove the ledger board or use one of the better non-sag mortars for that area, which I rarely have ever done.

The ledger in those applications is generally a rip of plywood cut to the correct size for the accent strip and rests on the lower tiles with no need to fasten it at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #38
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Here's a pic that shows the white ledger board that was actually too small. So I cut some small tiles on the tile saw to prop up the ledger board.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #39
ben5243

Brilliant, thanks!

I'll do that on the adjacent walls.
Unread 05-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #40
ben5243

Got some more work done this long weekend.

The bench tile went really well. One side was about 1/8th higher than the other so I set the initial row of wall tile with the laser level to the higher side. When it came time to set the front face, I matched the height so one side was a bit proud of the top surface. Then troweled extra thinset to make it level and slope it for drainage.

My other tile also went well, I set a tile overhanging the top of the niche about 1/8" and measured down the tile width plus grout width times number of rows to mark the bottom row and set a ledger board. My estimate was right and over 7 rows I had about 1/8" of slop and my top row was dead on flush with the opening.

Now I just need to figure out where to buy a sill for the niche.
I purchased a white threshold, like for a doorway, but the top edge is beveled and the bottom edge is jagged and sharp so I think i'll be returning it. Trying to find a place to order 1/2" Corian sill but haven't found anywhere with the right color.
Unread 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Stone fabricators will usually have remnant pieces of marble and granite that you can buy. They also can cut and polish it for you.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase