Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Ben that cad program sure does a nice render. Did you create the exact tile size, shape, and color? What about the tub and stand tub fill? so it sounds like you went with a another tile so the thickness issue isn't a problem?
The only thing about that third row starting on the bench is you better make sure both low corners of the bench are real level with each other, and are you going to tile the top of the bench first or after the walls?
Unread 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
ben5243

Shower starting row height questions (with CAD renders in post 13)

Yes, I measured my tile (11.75 x 23.75") and drew the exact size in CAD, including 1/16" grout lines. It's tedious to do but I've found having a plan going into a new activity (tiling) is much less frustrating than trying to come up with one as I go and finding out I've screwed up and have to remove and restart or waste materials.
As long as you keep in mind that the real world isn't always plum, flush, and level, and plan ways to absorb those variations, having a CAD plan is really nice.

I do have a laser level so I plan to mark my third row exactly level so if I need to lower it 1/8-1/4" to account for the bench not being perfectly level, I can do that. I'll need to cut in the taper for the bench slope anyway.

I'll be using the schluter profile on the front lip of the bench (3/8" quarter round stuff) so I'm unsure how it will look with the schluter meeting the grout line at the wall. But I don't have any better ideas for layout.

The video I watched of tiling a corner bench, the guy did the walls first, then the vertical surface of the bench, then the horizontal surface with the quarter-round schluter profile lip under the horizontal tile.
This made the most sense to me because he back-beveled the front vertical surface tile cuts at 45 degrees to make a nice tight joint at the walls.
Then the horizontal tile (top surface) hides the tapered cuts on the wall tiles because those are difficult to get exactly parallel to the slope of the bench.

I realize this means the wall tile doesn't overhang the horizontal bench surface tile - which is the typical preferred way for drainage, but the kerdi membrane should do its job and the corners will be caulked.
Any issues with my logic on this?

And yes - the uneven tile thickness issue is solved. Here's where the project is right now:
I've noticed it's frowned on to start new threads for each issue - Is there a way to change my thread title to:
Shower starting row height questions (with CAD renders in post 13)

Shower floor is cut and dry-fit, I will probably mix mortar and set them tonight. This is the height difference that will be made up with my v-notch trowel.

(And yes I know... my cut edge is crap... I'm working on it)

This part was fun!

Not bad for my first drain?
Unread 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Not too shabby, Ben, well done.

What did you use to make those cuts?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
ben5243

Quote:
Not too shabby, Ben, well done.

What did you use to make those cuts?
Thanks
10" wet saw with sliding table.
I cut the straight lines first, stopping before the rounded corner. Then cut the individual pieces from the mosaic backing and made a few angled cuts to remove the bulk of the material and finished by holding the pieces up into the blade and rotating them to get the rounded corner. Similar to how you would cope molding on a tablesaw or angle grinder I guess.
I was just making it up as I went. Plenty of extra mosaic pieces to try again. I may replace one of the corner pieces (top right) when I set the tile. It's not as good looking as the others (ironically it was the last one I did).
Unread 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Very nice Ben. I recommend you put a carpet chunk or something else thick over that tile to protect it if when you drop one of your wall tiles on your pretty floor.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, what PC said. The last thing you want to have to do is replace a tile that's stuck to the Kerdi. I'd cover it with Ram board wall to wall with tape and then use carpet over that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #22
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

So true....

Name:  B7A81360-2D87-45B0-91E4-891B1B2BDC8D.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  19.0 KB
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
ben5243

Thanks guys, I set the tile last night and I'm very happy with the result.
I did have to build up more thinset than I expected to get the transition flush. It took a little trowel and error but I made it work.
I found building it up slightly higher than necessary then pressing the mosaic into the thinset worked well. I spent about 45 minutes with a toothpick cleaning out the grout lines due to this though.

I found the drain to be a little tricky, having never done one before. I had to add some thinset so the small pieces of tile touching the drain were supported better. The lateral movement in the schluter drain is genius though and allowed me to center my drain between tiles both horizontally and vertically and get nice symmetrical cuts. That was my plan from the start, but I imagine a rigid drain requires starting around the drain and working outwards, causing sliver cuts on the edges.

For the wall tile I plan to lay down some thick cardboard. Then a drop cloth over that. I'm actually more worried about the main bathroom floor and carrying the tiles in and out of the room to the saw. I've got the massive box the vanity cabinet came in so I will probably create a pathway.

Anyway, here is where I am at now:

It's not as sloped as this image appears, the camera is a bit uneven. It does have a good slope all the way around the transition though which I'm very happy about.

Any other thoughts on the tiling layout in Post #13? Or changing my thread title since it's now irrelevant?
Unread 05-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

Thread titles are nearly always irrelevant, Ben, except for something to remember your thread by. We recommend a generic project thread and a moderator can always change yours any time you'd like to recommend one.

For your layout questions I recommend whatever Mrs. Ben wants.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #25
ben5243

CX, thanks.
The pattern is decided, it will be the brick 50% horizontal.

What I was hoping for was any insight on how high to start the 3rd row in regard to the top of the bench and a ledge at 48" up the wall. I'm mostly looking to make it easier on myself and reduce any potential for unsightly sliver cuts due to uneven walls. Post #13 has drawings of what I mean
Unread 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #26
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ben, I would probably install the second row first. I would have the top of the second row finish out at the top edge of the seat. Then the third row would be trimmed a little to go over the seat.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #27
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I have two corner benches in my shower, Ben, and set the 2nd row of tile level with the front edge of each - just as Davy suggested. Make that mark, then measure up to see what it'll look like when you get to the bottom of the ledge.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #28
ben5243

Thanks, that's my plan then. I'll try to get the wall grout line for that course to meet with the bottom of the schluter rounded profile on the bench.

Okay quick layout question- I'm tiling around a tub and there is a large niche, not requiring full waterproofing because it's not a shower, just tub. I'd like to do one full row at the top edge of the niche- how do I do it?
Do I have to measure tile height and grout lines exactly and start bottom up? That seems difficult and maybe impossible to get exact. Can you start with that row then work down?

Tile is 6x18" subway tile. I know people achieve good results doing this, I see pictures all the time and it seems like the preferred layout anyway but what's the technique?

Here's my planned layout:

Here's an example of the same thing I'm trying to do:
Unread 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #29
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ben, I didn't read the whole thread again but are you saying the tile around the tub walls is different than the shower walls?

Sometimes we will get a rough measurement of where the blocking needs to go at the bottom and top of the niche. Place the bottom block a little lower than we think (maybe 1/2 inch) and the top block a little higher. Then go ahead and tile the wall and mud in over the blocks just before tiling. Hope that makes sense.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #30
ben5243

Davy, thanks for the response.

Yes, the tile in my CAD image in my last post has 12x24 tile in the shower and 6x18 subway tile around the tub. I'm not sure what you mean by placing a block or mudding over. What do you use for a block?

My question is do you tile top to bottom or bottom(2nd row) to top?
How do you ensure the bottom of the top row ends up perfectly aligned with the top of the niche?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase