Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #91
gslenk

Second guessing the option of going with 12"x24" tile. Can't seem to get the layout looking right. The niche is off center, call it poor planning and/or stud locations.

Would it be a good idea to do all solid tiles on the 24" plumbing (left wall) or break those up every other row (or all rows)?

Should I try to line up grout lines with the niche edges? Or just let the niche fall where it may with more "centered/even" grout lines?

Here's my first instinct in 12x24 with two 3" accent tile lines. The Niche inside dimensions are 12" wide by 18" tall. Grout lines are attempted to accommodate the niche.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #92
gslenk

Turns out the best looking one I found was $5/sf, but it appears lowes sells it also, at $2.5/sf. Somehow I must have overlooked it on my initial (quick) search at lowes. Anyways... Any opinions on these manufacturers?

Winner so far: Anatolia Tile, Mayfair collection.
Marazzi Tile (runner up at the place I have been happy giving my money to)

Lastly, any thoughts on American Olean? I already used their wood look floor planks and they seem fine, and one of the mosaic options I picked for the shower floor is made by them also.

Time to work up some more grout line models to find the best looking size.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #93
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I dunno, Lenny, if you'd find something suitable for $5 or less per square at the places I mentioned. I won't mention what mine was per square. Customer service was top notch though. Not that I needed any after the sale service; all my tiles have been perfect out of the box so far.

As far as brands go, I haver no idea. But what'd you'd be looking for is consistent sizing, thickness, and flatness. Should be able to get an idea of all 3 right there in the store.

Do realize though a particular tile may be advertised as, say, 12X24 it may not actually be. My wall tile was smaller, significantly, in both dimensions, which eliminated my planned layout. Yup, I over looked checking that bit before buying them.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #94
makethatkerdistick

I know the surprise well that Dan described. Happened to me. The next time after that I wanted to be smarter and take actual size and thickness into account. I happened to be at "The Tile Shop". Size I could measure on their displays but not thickness, and there was no way to determine from their documentation what the thickness was. Just lots of clueless stares. I had to guess and guessed right but the interaction was painful.

I am a big fan of stores that actually let you look at and pick from their stock.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #95
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I used Anatolia tiles for both of my bathroom projects. Quite happy with the product.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #96
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Ditto on measuring the tiles before you get to serious on layout. 12 x24" will be 11 13/16 x 23 3/4" range. So on that 24 " wet wall they may not span it. Take some spacers when you go shopping so yiu can lay out a few rows of samples amd get an accurate stack up measurement for 1 tile, 2 tiles+ 1 grout line. 3-4 tiles + grout lines. 7 p's. Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. I chose dal tile over floor n decor. I have an account that gave a nice discount but main reason was quality. Im not a fan of that dot printer look. Surprising they don't use more rows of printer heads.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #97
gslenk

Yeah my plan for tile was ballpark it with some planned error margin (ie. extra inch allowance at the top/bottom rows where they meet floor/ceiling, and will be cut to size anyway), then lay the tiles on the floor and recheck my design before moving forward.

BUT... the tile is gonna have to wait. This $#%#^ outside corner is killing me. It took 3 tries (weeks) to get "strait flex tile tape" the order kept showing up as "tuff tape". Anyway, I finally got the right stuff, and while trying to sand off excess dried mud, I sanded through a corner and then proceeded to rip it all out. It came off a bit too easy for my liking, but the AP compound was still wet underneath, so probably not a real problem.

I am now thinking of using durabond or "hot mud" instead to set the corner bead. Thoughts?

For reference, this corner is outside of the shower area, and I am designing it to hopefully minimize/eliminate water migration to drywall/similar materials.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #98
Radas
Tile Newbie

Use durabond, work fast and don't worry about it being perfect. Then go over it with lightweight joint compound.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #99
makethatkerdistick

If you're going from tile to drywall, I wouldn't use the Rondec but a straight profile like "Schiene" unless you really want that exposed metal corner look. Either will work, though.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #100
gslenk

Wolfgang, I do like the low profile edge, however a "duller" corner seems more appropriate given how small the bathroom is and the likelihood of bumping into it.

Attached is how I envision the corner, except with brushed aluminum rondec. There will be a matching rondec for the tile to tile outside corner that is technically in the shower.

And not that I think of it, I wonder if I could shove some strong magnets inside the aluminum rondec, as a way to attach a shower curtain? hmmmm. And on that tangent, I wonder if anyone has ever embedded magnets behind tile for a similar purpose?
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #101
gslenk

In a small bathroom, is it outside the realm of "normal" to tile up to the door trim? I didn't find much online. Attached is a crude example. I don't think I have room for a gap with rondec, as that would create a very small sliver of tile just outside the curb. I should be able to use a straight profile like the "Schiene" to keep the vertical tile line above the door trim clean. Door trim would be butted up against the schiene profile in this case.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #102
cx
Da Home Builder

Lenny, you can tile up to your door casing so long as you leave a gap of at least 1/8th" and fill that gap with a flexible sealant rather than grout.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #103
ss3964spd

Concur with cx, tile right up to the casing - but strive for 1/16". To my eyes 1/8" is just too wide. I think tile+profile+casing will seem like there's too much gong on.

That's how I did my tile baseboard Lenny, right to the casing, leaving `1/16" for caulk.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #104
cx
Da Home Builder

And to my brain a 1/16th" joint is just too narrow for a flexible sealant to be effective, Dan.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #105
ss3964spd

I'll offer that since Lenny will be applying caulk between the tile and casing for only cosmetic reasons, and therefore isn't actually relying on it to seal, 1/16th" won't be an issue.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase