Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #31
TileStuff

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin, but the nearest dealer is a decent drive, two hour ferry ride and a border crossing away.

What's wrong with the grout I have? I'm not looking to spend top dollar, and the custom products seem to have been good so far, most here like the versa and flexbond from them.

The only other grout I have easy access t o would be Mapei.
Unread 04-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #32
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not all sanded grouts are created equal. THe size and consistency of the 'sand' can vary, sometimes a lot between grout versions/manufacturers. YOu may be able to force fill those smaller gaps with sanded, but it takes more work with some than others. One that uses smaller 'sand' will be easier.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

For years I used Polyblend grout with very few problems. Just don't mix it runny and mix each batch with the same consistency and it'll probably work just fine. Home Depot's in my area are carrying Prism these days. It's made by Custom and can be bought in the same colors as the Polyblend. It also has the smaller grit for 1/16 joints. It would be a step up from the Polyblend.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #34
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Thanks for the suggestion Kevin, but the nearest dealer is a decent drive, two hour ferry ride and a border crossing away.
That's all?!?!?!

And I thought you were serious about this project.

Mapei has Ultracolor Plus FA, which is similar to the Laticrete grout I mentioned.

Or the Prism that Davy mentioned is good.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
TileStuff

Can't get Prism, only Fusion Pro from custom, as a more advanced grout. While it would be suitable for the walls, it wouldn't be for the river rock floor, technical data sheet says it's no good for irregularly shaped or spaced tile or stone, and also no good for high moisture emission rate, which I imagine a tradition wet shower bed would qualify as. Seems like a pretty lame "advanced" grout.

I can though, get the Mapei Ultracolour plus FA from Lowes. It's twice the price of the polyblend, but doesn't require sealing, which might make up for that, and it's good from 1/16" all the way to 3/4".

I guess I should take back the polyblend, and the matching caulk.

So I don't make another mistake like this, what do you guys recommend I use to seal the natural stone river rock floor before grouting?

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Unread 04-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #36
Kman

Good move, in my opinion.

Custom makes some great products, and someone that has good experience with grout and especially Polyblend can make it work. But the other options usually work better for a DIY'er, and like you said, no sealing.

Look at Miracle Sealants. If you'll click on the "Stone Tooling" link at the bottom of this page, you can find a good number of their products on that site.

Unread 04-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #37
Kman

A word of caution regarding Ultracolor Plus: it is like many of the advanced grouts in that it is fast-setting. You'll get about an hour or so to work with it, so plan accordingly.

Thoroughly clean the tile with a damp sponge and water before grouting. Get all your water buckets ready, grout float, sponges, etc. together before mixing the grout. Keep the room cool if possible, as heat will accelerate the drying process.

Don't mix up an entire bag at once. Half a bag or less is fine. Just grout 10-15 square feet at first and see how that works. If you can do more, go ahead. If it sets up too fast to clean easily, grout a little less. Good luck.

Unread 04-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #38
TileStuff

Got all the walls grouted, and the shower floor down, just need to grout that, then silicone the inside corners, and the shower should be done. Was pretty tedious doing the floor stone by stone, but I'm happy with the result. I'll finally post a photo sometime soon here.. Mapei Ultracolour FA worked great, thanks for the suggestion, will be doing the same for the floors.

Was reading about the order of operations, and seems drywall comes before the floor. I was hanging my drywall and then I realized I was about to cover the electrical box that still needs to be connected to the floor heater and temp sensor.

What is typically done, just leave the the drywall off the electrical wall until the floor is done? Wire up the heater and sensor and leave them coiled up while finishing the drywall, and then tackle the floor? Or maybe just leave a steel wire in the wall to fish through the heater and sensor cable later to avoid damaging them?

Trying to do things properly here but it's quite confusing the first go-round.

Last edited by TileStuff; 04-26-2019 at 02:08 AM.
TileStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2019, 02:32 AM   #39
Kman

Just cut a notch in the sheetrock that is above the framing, but below the top of the trim. Run everything through that, but remember to avoid that area with your nail gun when putting the trim back up.

I used schedule 40 conduit within the wall to keep the wiring contained so it's not just loose. It also makes it easier to fish the wire from the floor to the thermostat.

Unread 04-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #40
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I did pretty much what Kevin suggested, Jessie, ran conduit from the wall bottom plate up to the thermostat box, and ran some pull strings in the conduit. Then installed the drywall. I used the circuit for the floor heat as a temporary outlet since I had no others in the bathroom at that time.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #41
Kman

I just didn't cut out the bottom plate. I cut a 90 sweep in half and connected one half to the end of each conduit, and had it come out at the hole in the sheetrock. Since my trim is about 3 1/2" above the finished floor, I had plenty of room to work with.

Unread 04-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #42
TileStuff

Said I would finally post a photo, so here it is. Just have to silicone the inside corners (and finish the rest of the bathroom now). Just trying to teach myself how to tape drywall, definitely one of those harder than it looks things.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for my first attempt at a shower, or even a reno in general. Have a few small chips on my bevels, but I can't really complain when I used under $1/sq.ft cheapo tiles and a $200 tile saw. Floor is from a local beach that has a lot of flat rocks. Excited to give it a try once I'm done the rest. Not so excited to start demoing the next 70's bathroom built like a boat, fiberglass mat over plywood for waterproofing, and I'm sure what used to be lovely green 1x1" tiles, whole tub itself done with them.

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm sure I'm not done asking questions yet..
Attached Images

Unread 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #43
Gozo

Very nicely done! I like the octopus tentacle on the floor. Tells the water which way to spiral down the drain.
Unread 05-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
TileStuff

Thanks Jeff!

Got the drywall all done now.. not the the most fun part of the procedure.

The sealer I used on the stone floor in the shower was the Mapei UltraCare low sheen. Kind of wish I had used the high-gloss now for the "wet look" As the floor really comes to life when it does get wet. I emailed tech support for Mapei a few days ago to see if I could apply the high-gloss over the low sheen now that it's been grouted, but I haven't heard anything back. I used the ultracolour FA grout that doesn't need sealing, but it says you still can seal it in the datasheet.

Just about to lay the granite floor tiles for the rest of the bathroom on top of the ditra-heat. Not really sure what sealer to use on the granite either, or if I should do it before or after grouting. Using the ultracolour plus FA again.
Unread 05-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #45
Kman

Good job, Jesse.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase