Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Daydo

Shower mud base/Start Floor Tiling min/max timing

Am about to do a 48" x 30" x 1.5" mud shower base over a PVC liner and pre-slope and am a bit confused regarding the following:

1. Cure time of mud base and time window for installing floor 2" x 2" mosaic tile. I found a comment from Sakcrete that says you must lay tile 16 hours after installing mud base (no more that 24 hrs.) otherwise you have to wait 28 days because it goes into a "Green" state. I actually plan on using the same mix as the pre-slope which was Quikcrete Sand/Topping Mix increased with additional sand to make it a 5:1 mix. Is this short time window correct...was hoping to have a 2-3 day window as I'm a retired DIY'r and not the fastest worker.

2. For the 1.5" final shower mud base is it advisable to install a piece of galvanized metal mesh screen in the middle for better strength. This would stop me using some 1/2" wide x 1.5" high strips of wood that I was planning on using to help me make a consistent surface thickness.

3. As you can see from the attached picture, I used a curb kit over concrete bricks for the curb. What mix should I use for this to make sure it sticks to the inside and outside surface. Should I do this first or after installing the deck surface or does it have to be done at the same time to make sure the curb and deck material bonds together with no gaps?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

1. I've never heard of that before. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years. We've tiled immediately after placing the mud and also waited several weeks before tiling. I don't see that it matters.

2. No need for wire lath in a small shower floor like that.

3. That needs to be wall mud (fat mud) on the curb. That mix is in the liberry, about 4 sand to 1 Portland and 1 lime.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydo
1. Cure time of mud base and time window for installing floor 2" x 2" mosaic tile. I found a comment from Sakcrete that says you must lay tile 16 hours after installing mud base (no more that 24 hrs.) otherwise you have to wait 28 days because it goes into a "Green" state. I actually plan on using the same mix as the pre-slope which was Quikcrete Sand/Topping Mix increased with additional sand to make it a 5:1 mix. Is this short time window correct...was hoping to have a 2-3 day window as I'm a retired DIY'r and not the fastest worker.
concrete bags say that but you are not using a "concrete" mix since you are adding the additional sand. more sand more porous. I think... That is what I have always been told anyway
Unread 02-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Daydo

Thanks for the fast replies guys.....this is a great site for knowledge transfers, especially for a DIY'r like myself.

Per your advise, Will use Quikcrete Morter mix for the curb. Is it ok to that first and then doing the base mud a couple of days later? (Remember I'm retired and not that fast)
Unread 02-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Yes, That's the nice thing about cement.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Daydo

Fat Mud Quikrete Product Confirmation

Just want to confirm the Quikrete product shown in the attached picture is the correct "Fat Mud" product for my Kirb-Perfect shower curb as the picture is different to what is shown in Liberry post for possible products.
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That mud will work fine.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
Daydo

Working time for shower base mud

Ok, got the curb mudded today and next will be doing the shower base mud.

I used the handy " Deck Mud Calculator" tool....that was really handy! Looks like I will have to mix two batches which brings me to my question..... How long will I have to spread and work the mud based on a 5:1 mix.

Being on my own I will have to stop and mix the second batch and am not sure if this delay will be a problem with the first batch starting to set before I get it all troweled. ( I assume I get the perimeter done first for the height I need)
Attached Images

Unread 02-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You might want to mix both batches up dry and set aside one until you need it. You'll have a good hour or so to get it in place. Don't mix it near as wet as you did the curb mud. The floor mud needs to be about like wet beach sand if you wanted to make a sand castle.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Daydo

Correct Thinset for large formal Porcelain shower wall tiles

Am finally at a point to start tiling my shower walls after building from scratch a shower base (Preslope/PVC Liner/Top Mud) and Kirb Perfect curb....it's been a long journey but this web site has been a great help for a weekend DIY'r!

I plan on using 24" x 12" x 1/4" Porcelain tiles over Durock Cement Backer Board and am confused on which type of thinset I should use...modified or unmodified?

I am also assuming I should use a 1/2" x 1/2" notched trowel and apply to walls and butter back of tile as they are so heavy.....correct?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated plus any brands that are available from big box stores would be even more helpful.
Unread 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Use modified. Home Depot has Custom's Prolite that works well and also Versabond LFT. Lowes has Mapei modified thinsets that will also work.

1/2 inch notch trowel is probably about right. You only need a skim coat on the tiles with the flat side of the towel if you use the notches on the wall. I would check the walls with a straight edge and get them as flat as possible. That will help you when installing those large tiles.

What are you using for waterproofing on the walls?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Daydo

Vapor barrier

I used a vapor barrier under the Durock so I wasn’t planning on putting anything on the top of the durock....do I need to?
Unread 03-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What did you use behind the Durock? Were you able to get it out over the tub lip?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Daydo

I used roof tar paper and overlapped it 2” over the pvc liner material that came up 6” on the walls. I also ran a bead of silicon along the bottom of the Durock (not sure it really bridged the gap between the pvc liner and Durock that well)
Unread 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
sdiver2489

I would redgard the CB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase