Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #46
speed51133

you are trying to make your own pan using "deck mud"??

if so, you just buy a bag of portland cement. you then also buy a few bags of sand. buy the sand used to make concrete, also called torpedo sand.

mix the two at a ratio of 1 part portland to 5 parts sand. add water so it gets it damp enough to hold a shape if you pack it like a snow ball, without any excess water.

pack it in tight and screed it to a slope.

i think you have a whole lot of learning before you are ready to do this though. i really really think you need to watch a whole lot of good videos first.

you also have not stated which method you plan to use. this will determine what type of drain you can use. what type of drain do you have? do you know how to set the drain? what is there right now? what kind of backer board for walls? what kind of waterproofing for walls? what kind of curb?

these will all affect your process.
i mean there are a million other questions as well.
Unread 12-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #47
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Quickcrete -sand topping mix.-add about 20% sand to it,or 4 bags to one..
Unread 12-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #48
AEN3MA

I've watched a few videos already and have printed out a few guides. Trust me, I'm a perfectionist. I won't even attempt to do this tell I have everything covered. One of my best friends is also a contractor and has done this a few times. I just want to do this on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QWIh0QMQ8
In this video, he doesn't lay the first mortar bed? Why not? (Never mind, I read the comments and they call him out. Can't believe people tell him great job).

These are my guides currently:

https://cabindiy.com/how-to/build-a-shower-pan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUpk7iFDvw4&t=1305s

Along with this forum. I've learned a lot in 24 hours.

Last edited by AEN3MA; 12-21-2018 at 01:45 PM.
AEN3MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #49
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Add this to your list of things to read and learn. And even after using it you will have questions so come on back

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...oormudcalc.cgi

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #50
cx
Da Home Builder

Josh, there is plenty of junk out there on Youtube that you don't wanna pay any attention to. Your third link is the closest to correct, but he didn't put any expanded metal lath down over his roofing felt for his pre-slope, which you need over a wood framed floor. He didn't use dam corners, saying his curb was too far away from the shower head for that to be important. It is. His liner does not rise a minimum of three inches above the curb, which is required. He apparently didn't slope the top of his curb, which is also required. He said it's fine to have your liner bunch up in the corners and cause a "little" bump-out in your wall CBU. It is not. I may have missed others as I just fast-forwarded through it.

I don't know if he specified the mortar mix, but that's been described here by others. If you find the Shower Construction thread in our Liberry you'll find a lot of information about the mix and a whole lot more. And it's all correct.

Whole lot of little considerations in doing the traditional shower correctly and each one is important. Learn them all and do a good job your first time.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #51
greenjp

Floorelf.com is a good resource as well. But as CX notes there's a lot of bad info out there and if you elected to stick with nothing but this forum and Sal Diblasi videos on YouTube you'll be in good shape.
Unread 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #52
AEN3MA

Wow CX.

Thanks a ton. I feel like I already know more than the average Joe just by digesting your comment.

You guys are great.
Unread 12-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #53
AEN3MA

Mike (speed51133),

See images below to what is there currently. I'm still demoing the bathroom. There is a pan there from the old bathroom. Once I get the old drywall out I will remove the Pan. I plan to use Durock backerboard. Then I will waterproof. Don't know which method I will use to do that.

The framing studs are metal, does that make a different If I'm going the pan linear route?

The building was built in 2004 and it looks like they didn't do a good job on this bathroom as there was some rot/rust.
Attached Images

Unread 12-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #54
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Josh, if you plan to use the PVC or Chloraloy liner that Eric mentioned, you'll need to pick up a 3 piece clamping drain. Your big box stores have them. Or, if you place an order with Noble, they have some nice drains.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #55
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

But it's not a waste of time to paint Redgard over your mud?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #56
cx
Da Home Builder

Bud, if that pre-slope is a waste of time you gotta wonder why it is required by building codes, the ceramic tile industry, and the liner product manufacturers, eh? You might also be curious about the drain manufactures putting those weep holes in their clamping drains. If no water was expected to follow a sloped liner to the top of that bottom flange, those weep holes would be a waste of time, too, would they not? And then you have somewhat exacerbated your problem by partially sealing your top mud bed.

Lots and lots of incorrect information available on the ol' Internet, 'specially on Youtube, but we prefer to tell our visitors here the correct method of doing their tile and associated installations. How you choose to do yours is entirely up to you, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #57
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Here’s a guy who does it right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7_L0no0ls

Not that we are the equivalent of surgeons, however it is somewhat similar generality. It’s kind of like you want to do surgery yourself and you ask a bunch of people for their opinion and figure how hard could it be? But in reality all of us Who do this full-time have put in years of training, education, trial and error, more education forums like this, and more education to learn how to do it adequately if not better. When we say there is a lot to know and a lot to learn about materials, methods and procedures, we’re giving you the benefit of good advice. Not that a DIY can’t do it, you just need to put in the time to understand the principles to make it right. Most people won’t want to spend the time to learn all the intricacies of doing it correctly the first time, they fail, and that’s why we see them come back again, and sometimes again. The big question is do you want to spend the time to get all your questions answered before starting, and if so thumbs up.

Sal in the video is a great resource. See his YouTube videos for great self help. Good tiling!

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #58
AEN3MA

Just saw that video and it scared me. Seems like there are 1000 steps. How can an amateur like me get it right?
Unread 12-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #59
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

You don’t have to put in a preslope. But if you don’t, you will know where that sewer/ mildew smell is coming from.i have torn out many, many showers that did not have one. What a nasty, disgusting, revolting mess.
Unread 12-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #60
greenjp

Study, take your time, and don't scrimp on the prep work.

I did my first (and only) shower last year and used the Wedi system. It seemed to me as a complete and utter noob to be the simplest and most foolproof of them all. It's not the least expensive. If you size and drain location is close to one of their pans it may be worth checking out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase