Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
eokie1
Jim in JAX, FLA

need advice on installing TILE on a screened porch, in Florida

hello all, I have not posted since 2010/2011, when you guys helped me beyond measure, with replacing a shower pan, shower curb, and installing tile in a small shower stall in my house up in Dayon, OH, area...... I now live in Jacksonville, FL, and am working on a built-in-1960 house my retired mother purchased last year. It had ugly light blue indoor outdoor carpet, in the screened-in porch, and she does *NOT* live having to clean sand and footprints from it (she gardens / plants / waters every day).... So, I ripped it out, and found that there were (as expected), some cracks in the concrete, that had been leveled with floor leveler..... How should I handle this....install membrane like Red Guard, then install the tile over that...???
Since it rarely freezes here, (if ever), can I get away with ceramic tile, rather than the normal PORCELAIN for outside ???

here is original look:

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...1&d=1558898016

other pics are various cracks and joints from when it was poured....almost looks like they poured it in sections....?? I think the aluminum porch enclosure itself is 20 or 30 years old.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...1&d=1558897615

OK, if I ever knew, I can't figure out how to move the pics around in the POST, if that is possible ???? also, it changed the rotation of some of the pics, and I can't see any way to edit that ???

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any good advice you can give me !!!!
James Jensen
Jacksonville, FL
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Jim.

My recollection of poured concrete in Florida from long, long ago when I lived down there is that it's usually poured on a sand base and rarely well designed for the task. Might be different in your porch, but I wouldn't count on it. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find no perimeter beam around that porch, even.

You'll hafta make your own, or your mom's, risk assessment in changing to a ceramic tile for that area (porcelain tile is ceramic tile). You can use a full coverage crack isolation membrane with adequate movement accommodation joints and hope for the best. RedGard does advertise to be a "high performance" Crack Isolation Membrane (ANSI A118.12) if applied per manufacturer's instructions. I'd personally prefer a sheet membrane in your application, but that's entirely up to you.

That one nice straight line in on photo looks very much like a construction joint to me. You might want to evaluate that one carefully, and you want to check all the other cracks to see if there is any differential height from one side to the other. That's any at all.

You might also keep in mind that your porch will get wet. Probably frequently. And ceramic tile tends to be slippery when wet. There are ceramic tiles advertised as less slippery than others, but all ceramic tile is slippery when wet and with the larger format tiles with fewer grout joints the problem is exacerbated some. Your mother slipping and falling on that porch would not make the new tile a great feature, eh?

And since the porch surface is level, it is likely to remain wet longer when it does get wet.

Let's start with that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
eokie1
Jim in JAX, FLA

THANKS for the advice !!!

thanks VERY much for the advice, she has owned the house almost 1 year, and we have not seen hardly any water ON the screened porch... it has 18 or 20" overhangs on all 3 sides and that seems to catch *most* of the rain.... YES, we will look for NON-SLIP porcelain tile, rated for OUTDOOR use, and use the appropriate thinset, and Ditra, or whatever I am instructed is the *BEST* way to go !!!!! THANKS !!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Keep in mind that Ditra is not a crack isolation product, Jim.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase