Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #31
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

CJ, the curb may very well be absorbing water from the mud bed but if the shower floor is built correctly, it wouldn't be saturated. Instead of putting a Band-Aid on the curb, I would go ahead and fix the shower floor. And, putting a membrane on the curb would probably make it worse. Moisture would continue to soak up between the two membranes.

Cx and I are non-drinkers. We assume everyone is sober when they post.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2019, 05:50 AM   #32
cjstilebiz@yahoo.com

See, I knew I would get some backlash on that.
Here’s the thing, when ever I’m looking at any possible new project I’m always trying to go into it with the best of my ability looking through the eyes of my prospective new client. Let’s assume some of the people that come here aren’t made of unlimited supplies of money, and after finding out they spent thousands of dollars on their dream bathroom, that the contractor they hired under delivered and disappeared. Someone like that might not be coming to a forum like this just to hear some tile genius tell them to tear it out and start from scratch, someone like that might want to hear some ideas as how to patch what they can and salvage what they have .
Unread 04-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #33
makethatkerdistick

C.J., the internet is filled with advice you wish to provide to your customers: From sealing grout to partially painting your mud floor and the like.
I for once was thankful that the "tile geniuses" on here didn't entertain such patch-up notions. I was strapped for money and still rebuilt my showers correctly.

If one wanted to save a lot of money, one could very affordably so completely rebuild a shower receptor to industry standards. I don't see a problem there. Liner, backerboard, mud, thinset, moisture barrier, PVC trap and drain, some wood or brick for curb. Done!
Unread 04-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #34
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

CJ, I can see where you're coming from but here in the advice forum where we have a lot of Diy'ers, we try to stick with approved tile industry standards and using cement board over a pan liner isn't an approved method. So, when you give that type of advice on this forum, expect to get some back lash. If you want to start a thread in the Pro hangout and tell us how crazy we are, we can debate it there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 04-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #35
cjstilebiz@yahoo.com

Hey Davy,
I appreciate you as a moderator disagreeing with me and not just as your first reaction cutting me off and shutting me down from the thread. I can also respect what you’re saying about maintaining the integrity and reputation of the forum with the type of advice we give. So that being said I’ll take the rest of my Bitching and moaning to the pros hang out :-) PS Wolfgang, any person that is posted 640 something posts since 2017 and is not a professional tile setter,well I’m guessing that you’re not actually here for advice.
Unread 04-23-2019, 05:49 AM   #36
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If someone gives wrong advice, we try to catch it. I've given wrong advice too and was corrected, it's nothing personal.

We have some DIY'ers here that have done their homework and are very knowledgeable. Wolfgang is one of them.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase