Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #31
cduff

I can't bring myself to grout it... yes I could live with it, but I fear I'd go more and more insane with every shower. Going to tear it out this weekend and figure out a way to get the materials again.

Here's to the second time being a little quicker now that I have one under my belt!

Last edited by cduff; 09-04-2018 at 06:06 PM.
cduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #32
rmckee84

If you want to pm me your general area (Chicago is a big area) I may have a few contacts if you're still wanting someone to take a look.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #33
hfxjohn

A few years back we were having our bathroom tiled, after a few nights of not sleeping, my wife and I decided that a divorce was the only answer, so we divorced the tiler, and sent him packing. We started sleeping again, and found someone who did a nice job. If you leave it as it is, you will be looking at all the problems everytime you use the bathroom.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #34
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John, did you talk to him about working the day shift?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #35
hfxjohn

Hind sight is a wonderful thing.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #36
cduff

Kerdi fix on tile flange + Wedi

Hi all,

Back again in the bathroom saga that never seems to end. I am supposed to have a tile contractor come in to redo the work I had to rip out (see previous posts for background or a good laugh). He is using Wedi, where I had used Kerdi before. When I ripped out the Kerdi board, the flange has the Kerdi fix and a bit of the fleece stuck to it.

From what I've read/seen my understanding is that the Wedi is mounted in front of the tile flange on the side of the tub, and above the flange on the ends (just like Kerdi). If the contractor installs the Wedi, is it ok to keep the flange the way it is in the picture or do I need to remove all the old Kerdi fix? If I do need to remove the Kerdi fix, any tips on how to remove it?

I was thinking that maybe the Wedi could just be set on top of the flat edge where the Kerdi board was previously, and then just sealed on the bottom edge and then across the face of the Wedi. The contractor didn't seem too concerned about it when I mentioned it to him, but has been a bit of a challenge getting a hold of him/getting a solid date for him to start.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #37
cx
Da Home Builder

Best you stay with the original thread, Carl, so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. 'Specially since it looks like you're planning to incorporate some of the previous mistakes.

Is that the tiling flange on top of your tub we're looking at?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
cduff

Thanks for moving the thread, makes sense! And that's correct - the picture is of the tile flange. The top is basically flat (where the kerdi board was sitting) and the front is pretty flat as well where I had smoothed the kerdi fix and thinset down.

Just not sure if the fleece/thinset that's left will interfere with the install of the Wedi board. Contractor didn't seem concerned Ė but I'm super cautious to say the least at this point in wanting to make sure this is all installed correctly.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #39
cx
Da Home Builder

I suggest you ask your new contractor how he intends to treat that junction between WediBoard and tub flange.

If you intend to stop the Wedi at the top of that flange, I would not want any thinset mortar on the flange at all and removing the existing Kerdi Fix would be a good idea, too. Only one good way to treat that gap in my opinion, but I'd want to hear what he plans before suggesting anything. Might be a good way to tell if you've moved up or just over in your selection of tile guys, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #40
cduff

Well, my gut is telling me to either do it myself or find someone else. It's not that I question whether the contractor is qualified (he is NTCA / CTI certified) - though he mentioned just setting the Wedi on top of the flange as is and then using new sealant to cover the seam and not wanting to contour the tiles to the ceiling but that I could paint the gap at the ceiling to match the ceiling, which was a bit odd.

I just get the sense he is too busy right now and my job is not a priority. He asked for the deposit but couldn't tell me when they'd start the job. Signed the contract a month ago, and had the initial estimate over 8 weeks ago now.

I managed Kerdi, maybe it's time to go buy some Wedi and get this thing done. Loosing steam for sure...
Old 11-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not sure what I'm looking at. Looks like a tub lip made out of thinset. Is there a tub lip under all that?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #42
cx
Da Home Builder

Look at post 38, Davy. Apparently the tub does have a tiling flange under all that pookey.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #43
mrmilom1990

I agree. Bad contractor! It's not worth the penny!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #44
cduff

Figured I'd resurrect this thread and give a bit of an update. Never hired the other contractor as he never could give me a solid date of when he could start.

Laid the floor tile without issue for the most part, cleaned the old Kerdi Fix off the tub flange with a heat gun (verrrrrrryyyy carefully) and a painter's tool.

Installed Wedi, sealed all the holes and now here I am with a new question. I'm getting ready to install the tile on the wall (4x16 again) and I was planning on installing a ledger board. Once I tiled, I would remove that, fill the holes will Wedi sealant and then install the first row of tile.

Just looking for confirmation that's the right approach or if I even need to do the ledger and can just shim the first row?
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #45
Lou_MA

Either way works. Just keep in mind if the tub isnít perfectly level, that bottom row will be tapered cuts and you want the lowest point on the tub deck to be your starting point.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase