Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
iownme

personally....
i could not live with that and i would remove it all and start again.

that really is awful and im so sorrry for you.
as others have said...there is no magic grout that can fix that....and i bet that will be his first defense when you question him.
we all have crap luck sometimes, today its your turn ;@(
Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #17
mark999

I do not think it is a total loss if the waterproofing was done right and the tiles are stuck good. Ido not see any reason why you can not just tile over it and use something like pencils for your trim.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Kman

While grout won't fix those problems, grout that is the same color as the tile could help hide some of it, and at least make it tolerable for now.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #19
iownme

it appears i have higher standards than some others... lol

and i was being polite with my opinion ;@)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #20
iownme

but for what its worth.....
it is a very popular tiling style :@)

i see it all the time.....

both on this forum and in the cheap motels i iuse when traveling and rural gas station bathrooms
Old 09-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #21
mullet
░░░░░░░

When DIY'ers are blowing this guys work away, time to make him pay up and move on.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
Kman

Fred, I certainly wasn't saying the work was adequate, but just offering an alternative to complete demolition. I wouldn't want that quality of work either, but if I was at that stage and just wanted it to be over so I could use my shower, I might look at other options.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #23
cduff

Kman, that's about where I'm at - super conflicted. On one hand want to rip it all out the more I look at it. On the other, this is 10 months coming and would love to use this shower/have a functional first floor bathroom.

Also half tempted to try and pop the tiles off and see what happens. Worst case, I have to tear it all out down to the studs. Best case - I can salvage the kerdi and try and do it myself. Maybe not the right way - but sure as hell better than this guy did.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far. Will probably post an update once I talk to the tile guy shortly and make a decision on what to do.

I do know, that I will be doing the floor.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #24
makethatkerdistick

Even IF you can salvage the Kerdi, its bonding mechanism would be compromised. I would use fresh Kerdi in case you do it over again. With every day that passes, the thinsets cures and becomes stronger, anyway. You will pull off a lot of bonding fleece. The amount of Kerdi for a tub surround is little anyway. Not worth sweating it.

By the way, a functioning bathroom is overrated. The joy lies in the journey, not the end result.

If it were me, I would tear it out if it were my main bathroom and would probably leave it for now if it's not. We have three bathrooms, all having been redone (with the third one in the process right now). The first was tiled by a former friend and looks a bit similar to yours as in having simple subway tile in a tub surround. It has Kerdi also and is mainly used by our kids. As I said, to the untrained eye, that kind of work will actually look good ("Oh, tile, how pretty!"). It's perfect for the kids, and when they're grown in ten years or so I will probably redo that tile work. They really don't care about lippage. Now, in my master bathroom I wouldn't like it.

Last edited by makethatkerdistick; 09-03-2018 at 10:36 AM.
makethatkerdistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
cduff

Gonna close this one out.

Talked to the tile guy - he said it was my fault for not telling him I wanted "detailed work", and that I didn't pay the "detailed work price". He charges much more to do detailed work. As you can imagine that didn't fly.

I left him with two options, come pick up his tools or I can put together an itemized list of the materials and costs to date so he can cut me a check to replace it all.

Going to start saving up to redo it rather than finish it and use it. Just can't stand to look at it. Thanks again for everyone's help. Will likely be back once I dig back into bathroom reno 2.0.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #26
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
...he said it was my fault for not telling him I wanted "detailed work", and that I didn't pay the "detailed work price".
Just when you thought you'd heard'em all.

I'd sure like to be present when he tried to float that one by a civil court judge or arbitrator.

Good luck with the re-do.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
mullet
░░░░░░░

Good Grief!!!!! Carl, I am sorry you had to deal with this comedian's first time doing tile.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #28
tatumjonj

Oh, the old "you didn't ask for my prestige package" excuse. Now I've heard it all. Really sorry you're dealing with this from a supposed professional.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #29
cduff

Pretty unbelievable. He's picking up his tools and walking away. Knows he got called out on his crappy workmanship.

If anyone knows any folks in the Chicago-land area that I can reach out to and get a quote for redoing this mess, might just bite the bullet and pay a real professional to do it so I don't have to go another 12 months without a bathroom on my first floor.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #30
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Going back to what Kevin said, there's no doubt that a matching grout can hide flaws to some degree. Also, a contrasting color can highlight flaws and cause them to stand out. I would go ahead and grout it and use it. Then at least it's finished until you have time to redo it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase