Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #331
Radas
Tile Newbie

Damn, that looks great Dan. LFT looks good in that shower.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #332
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Needed to make large holes for the wall hung toilet's supply and waste lines, smaller holes for the studs, all in a single 12X24 3/8" porcelain tile. The small ones were straight forward, the only degree of difficulty, for me, was measuring accurately.

The larger ones were tougher, perhaps only because I made them so. Didn't want to use my angle grinder since the two holes are so close together and I doubt I could make the holes small enough, and the bottom of the large hole is only about 1" up from the bottom edge of that tile. I also didn't want to simply remove that center section of the tile.

So I bought a Bosch ceramic blade for my jig saw, drilled a starter hole, and had at it. It probably shouldn't have worked, and did take quite some time, but the tile didn't crack, and no marks from the shoe of the saw. The tile to the left has a hole for the bidet water supply, and for the electrical outlet. Simply used the plunge on the wet saw to partly cut the outlet opening, and finished it up with the jig saw.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #333
Radas
Tile Newbie

That's funny, I was at Menards yesterday looking at that same Bosch jigsaw and wondering what kind of use I could get out of it. I didn't know they had diamond blades. It seems like a bad idea to cut tile due to all the vibration but that tile came out real clean and a hell of a lot nicer than using an angle grinder.

Toilet area and baseboard tiles look great!

Shower done?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #334
ss3964spd

For the most part there was very little vibration, but every now and then something would catch and the whole mess would bounce around. Has something to do with cutting circles I think, and the diamond blade is pretty wide which likely doesn't help. That it didn't crack is still a mystery.

I love that Bosch jig saw, Ali, it's the first truly nice power tool I ever bought. The "orbital" feature is great, and can be disabled (which I did when cutting the tile). It replaced a crappy B&D that I'm pretty sure I heaved into a neighbors yard out of shear frustration. LOL.

Shower not finished. I needed to get the baseboard installed so I can get the cabinets out of the bedroom and set so the stone shop can cut the tops and install. But because the baseboard to the left of the toilet bump out dies against the bottom row of tile on the bump out I had to at least set that bottom row. Since I was there I decided to get that difficult part out of the way.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #335
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Nice work Dan.

I have that same jig saw in a barrel grip; bought it 20 years ago and still top performer. The diamond saw blade worked well for me cutting a very similar outline for the Kohler shower controls.

Name:  88D1F2F8-F452-4864-889F-A6AE23F2935E.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  23.4 KB
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #336
cx
Da Home Builder

I've had a couple of those Bosch jigsaws for many years, too, but never considered using one to cut ceramic tile. Maybe hafta give that a try one of these days.

PC, my barrel-grip model has had a Collins Coping Foot attached to it almost since birth. Wonderful little attachment you might wanna look at next time you need to do some coping, 'specially on large pieces.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #337
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

That’s a great tip, CX, I’ll look it up. I’m still doing a lot’a tricky stuff like crown by hand and would love a way to use the Bosch.

Name:  A146C84C-A42B-4588-96DC-E1CB17562593.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  F420AACF-EEB8-4CC9-8992-AF0A93FDA123.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  30.7 KB

Edit: just ordered the coping foot from Amazon. It will arrive tomorrow; no idea how they can make it happen so fast.

Last edited by PC7060; 06-09-2019 at 09:00 AM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #338
makethatkerdistick

Just like Dan, I have used my Bosch jigsaw with a diamond blade on difficult ceramic tile cuts. Worked reasonably well where anything else would have failed. A jigsaw is probably the first meaningful tool for a lot of DIYers.

I am contemplating another DIY granite countertop. I am afraid of the cutout for the sink making for breakage during installation. I am thinking of pre-cutting the long lines with a circular saw and leaving the corners in place, then, once the slab is in place, finishing them off with my jigsaw.

I am bad at coping. Still need to learn how to do that properly.

Nice job, Dan.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #339
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Wolfgang, I've seen slab installers do what you're talking about. Once the slab is in place, they cut the corners on a 45 to get rid of the bulk of the weight. Then, work on each corner after that. You would probably have to support the sink cut out from underneath while cutting the 45 corners.

I've also seen them carry in large 10 ft long C-tops on their edge that had the sink area cut out and polished (for an under mount sink). They had long 2x2 steel square tubing clamped along the front and back edges for strength. Once inside the kitchen, they rest the slab on the cabinet keeping it on it's edge. Then remove the clamps and tubing and with several guys they carefully lay the slab down in place.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #340
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Good to know another use for my jig saw.
If you think filling the front of a triangle better bench was tough imagine if it's the middle support where the 45 front face is halfway upside down and you need to fill it.
I was thinking why don't they put mesh on these front faces. you're finally getting close to being finished looking good.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #341
makethatkerdistick

Davy, I think we've talked about this before, actually. I hadn't thought about 45 deg. angles but rather just making my four straight cuts with the circular blade as far as they'd go. Then just finishing off those corner tips once the slab is placed. The metal bars seem to be the professional way, though. Either way, it's intricate and I've been shying away from it for a while now. But completing it by the end of summer is my goal now.

The "several guys" always is a problem for me. My colleagues are office people and usually not into lifting things. Some of my neighbors would probably help but I am not sure of their skill level. This could make or break a job.

Sorry, Dan, for derailing your thread.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #342
Radas
Tile Newbie

Lol

Old 06-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #343
ss3964spd

I've seen that look before - but where? Oh, I know where....

So many other to-do's that I've not made a lot of progress. Did get all the baseboard tile installed, tiled most of the toilet bump out, and Spectrolocked all the base (zero fun), what I could on the bump out, and some of the shower before the stuff became unworkable - used about 3/4 of a mini. Finished the top of the BB and left/right ends of the bump out with Laticrete's color matched sanded acrylic caulk. Reinstalled the cabinets, screwed the bench in place between them, and called the stone shop. Waiting on an install date now.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #344
Radas
Tile Newbie

Didn't see the response. Bathroom is looking good - I didn't realize the toilet wall tile was so high, pictures always made it look like a 1/2 wall.

Shower done yet?

I still can't call mine done because the glass guy is taking his time showing up...

Old 07-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #345
ss3964spd

Original plan for the toilet wall, since it's framed with 2X6's, was to install a cabinet - matching the vanities, just above the flush panel. That plan got scrapped due to the ridiculous quote from the cabinet shop, but the framing was done, so....

Still haven't finished the shower tile. So many other things demanding my time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase