Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
worldknown

How to fix: (1) Pink Mold where tub meets tile and (2) minor scratches

Hi guys
I had a tub and tile job completed about two years and ever since then I’ve had issues with caulking molding, to the point where I’ve replaced the caulking twice now. In the process of removing the caulking I created light scratches on my stainless steel porcelain ceramic tub.

Two questions;
1) should I reinstall again using Lexels new Cleanz product (supposedly has active enzyme that break down mold) or should I try using Flexcolor CQ? When it was installed it was done using cement based grout but I think that Flexcolor CQ could eliminate all my future problems, plus not having to worry about caulking coming up over time

2) how should I remove the light scratches? The remaining part of the tub is in pristine condition, just where the tub meets the tile are scratches.

Thank you and love this forum
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2019, 01:00 AM   #2
Kman

What are you using for caulk at the tub/tile joint? 100% silicone is the best choice for that application.

Flexcolor CQ is a high-performance grout that should not be used for that application. You want a flexible sealant there, not grout.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
worldknown

I thought flexcolor was somewhat flexible I.e no cracking. Also what do I do about the scratches?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Mike, I believe if you'll read the manufacturer's instructions for the Flexcolor CQ you'll find they tell you it's not a substitute for flexible sealant in movement accommodation joints. Or at least they won't tell you it's suitable for use in such joints.

I'd try Barkeeper's Friend for those marks. If they're actually scratches, it ain't gonna help, but if they're just metal marks they should come off.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 07-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
worldknown

Isn’t there a camp of people here (including John Bridge himself) that grout change of plane instead of caulk?

Thank you both. And yes They are scratches. So what options do I have for removing them ?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

There is such a camp, but that's not a change of plane application, that's a tub/tile application and I can assure you that grouting there will fail. Whether it's worth such a failure to you in favor of and aesthetic consideration, I cannot say. I've never tried it with one of the new single-component grouts.

If they're actually scratches you're pretty much limited to a ceramic repair. There are folks in your area (would be helpful if you'd add a geographic location to your User Profile) that do such repairs. Google should know where they are located.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase