Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
attdsltech

I'm currently building my curb with 3 Kiln dried 2x4's. To get the proper slope can I add drywall shims between the 2nd and 3rd 2x4 to get 1/4" per foot slope?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #17
Kman

Yes, I typically use a couple of layers of roofing felt to get the top board sloped, but whatever you use will work as long as it doesn't compress, and the shim runs the full length of the curb. Shimming it in a few places might cause the board to warp a little.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #18
attdsltech

Ok perfect Thanks for quick reply

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #19
attdsltech

Progressing along with my project. Finished framing for tub and now roughing in rest of plumbing. Looking ahead I have some questions regarding bathroom flooring. Seeing all the post on floor deflection I looked at the calculator but says not for I-Joists. Where can I get deflection calcs for engineered floor joists?

Old 06-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #20
attdsltech

New question. I finished plumbing and now ready to hang the sheetrock. How flat does the wall need to be? I have shaved some of the crowned studs and have drywall shims for some other studs. I'm going to be using large format 12x24 porcelain tiles. Putting my 4' straight edge to left most side it's good. If I check from right most side it's like a 1/8" high. The wall is just over 5' long and 6' level is too long and 4' too short to span whole wall. Is a 1/8" enough to worry about over a 5' span?

Old 06-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #21
Lou_MA

It's going to be easiest to fix it at this stage, and get everything as flat, plumb and square as you can.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
Kman

Sorry we missed your earlier question about the i-joists. Typically the manufacturer of the joists would be the one with that information. They're normally built well in excess of the required L/360, but there's no guarantee.

If you have a low spot in your wall, a good way to fix that is to get a straight piece of a 2x, as long as is needed to span the low area, and sister it to the stud.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #23
attdsltech

I have run into an issue today. I finished hanging the drywall on shower walls. I have 9' ceiling but planned on only tiling to 8'. I cut the existing drywall at 8'. The issue I have now is an uneven edge between the old and new drywall. It varies between a 1/16" and 1/4" where the corner was floated. When I add may deck mud the final tiles cross that transition by several inches. What are my options for dealing with the offset?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
Kman

That's why I always remove the old sheetrock to the ceiling. Very little extra cost, and no problems like you're having.

Are you tiling over this speed bump? If so, I'd remove the rest of the sheetrock and put new rock up there.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
attdsltech

So my options are to remove another 6" of sheetrock to get beyond the top of the last tile, stop at 7' so last tile missing the lip or Do I need to go all the way to ceiling with new sheetrock?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #26
attdsltech

Wife overruled stopping at 7' so I'm going with 8' option. The question: Can I cut 6" more to get above last course or do I need to go all the way to the ceiling?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #27
attdsltech

Ok just went up 6" speed bump above tile now. Now ready for the kerdi. Floors and decor has Mapei Kerabond T in store but not Kerabond. Data sheet says Kerabond T needs additive to use on drywall. Is this necessary with kerdi shower system? Is there a better option to use with kerdi? Thanks for the help so far

Old 06-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #28
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Both Kerabond and Kerabond T says additive and not to use on drywall in wet locations but that's talking about tile no kerdi
Both meet A118.1 standards schluter calls out. There really is not that much difference that I can tell. But the T did hold tiles better on my ceiling. But I used Kerabond on the last small tile under 10x10 Because I ran out.
Just make sure to really wet down your drywall first not just one sponge wipe but maybe three or four. And mix your thinset very soupy look at some of those videos. If your going to do an 8' strip you will need to hurry. Cut the kerdi 1/4" shy of size so the excess can squeeze out. Put some marks on the wall and kerdi during dry fit so you know the correct height and position is good and get it started along the wall and work out from that spot. Once you get a square foot attached and that your alignment looks good just go ahead and press all the way up to the ceiling along one triangular-shaped front. You can move it around a little bit when you only have a foot or two adhered but once you get too much contact you cannot move it. Do a test pull of 18-24" and it should have 100% coverage.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #29
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy
And mix your thinset very soupy look at some of those videos.
I'm gonna take issue with that, Teddy. Your version of soupy may differ from my version, but Schluter says to mix the mortar to a "fairly fluid consistency, but still able to hold a notch." I don't consider that "soupy," but you might. The "able to hold a notch" part of their description is important.

The difference in Kerabond T is the T, standing for thixotropic, identifying it as a slip resistant or non-sag mortar.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #30
attdsltech

Thanks that's the info I needed. I will do my kerdi first thing in morning when its cooler. Need all the time I can get.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase