Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
3rdPig

Shower Enclosure Installation Sloped Surface

Hey all,

I'm planning on going curbless for my basement bathroom shower. I've purchased a Wedi 36x48 center drain shower kit that will go in a corner installation and 1.5" thick Wedi boards to raise the level of the rest of the bathroom and match the height of the shower base.

I've been looking at several frameless 36" x 48" shower enclosures and they all place the floor mounts somewhere inboard of the 36 x 48 shower pan dimensions. For example, with my favorite enclosure (VIGO VG6051), the floor glass clamps form a rectangle 34 5/8" x 46 1/2". This would put the mounts on the sloped Wedi shower tray rather than on the flat Wedi boards.

The enclosure manufacturers always say that their enclosures need to be installed on a flat and level surface, but I'm wondering if I can install it on the slightly sloped Wedi shower tray (slope is less than 3 degrees).

From reading on glass shop websites, they usually recommend sloping shower curbs 5 degrees so it must be possible to install glass shower panels on a 3 degree slope right?

Just not sure if the glass shops maybe use a special angled mount or something.

Thanks in advance for any insights on this.

-Patrick
Unread 04-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Patrick.

Glass panels are installed on sloped surfaces every day. The curbs, tops of pony walls, as well as the tops of benches have glass mounted to them on a regular basis.

The key is to not puncture the waterproofing layer on those horizontal surfaces. If you do, you'll create a leak down the road.

I installed one a couple of months ago, and the only holes I drilled were on the walls. Where the glass mounted to the sloped curb, I used 100% silicone for the mounting bracket and the sliding door guide. I let them dry in place for a couple of days before mounting the glass, but they were rock solid and unmovable. I'm confident they'll stay in place.

The slope of the curb was made, of course, to shed water that runs off the glass. I sloped it substantially, but not so much that it threw the brackets far off kilter. Installation was a snap.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
3rdPig

Thanks for the quick reply Kevin!

I had a feeling that installing on a slope was no bit deal but better to confirm before I bought an enclosure. It's too bad that the manufacturers can't give more guidance on this. I emailed Vigo, Aston, and Maxx and none of them would say anything except install on a level surface even though their own shower bases seem to have sloped curbs.

Great advice re: using silicone for the floor mounts. I was a bit concerned about waterproofing the mounts and it would be a pain to have to use tapcons to screw through 1.5" of Wedi and into the concrete.

For the wall mounts and my grab bar in the shower, I was thinking of filling the mount holes with silicone before screwing the screws in as an extra waterproofing measure. Any thoughts on that?
Unread 04-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
Kman

Yes. Drill, vacuum out the hole, fill it with silicone, then add some more silicone to the screw threads.

Did you install some blocking for the wall mounts and grab bars?

Unread 04-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
3rdPig

Not yet. I wanted to buy the shower enclosure first so that I can locate the center of the blocking for the glass clamps exactly on the dimensions of the enclosure. We haven't put up drywall or the Wedi backer board yet so I have full access to do the blocking. I plan to do a 2x6 on the flat bordered by 2x4's oriented the usual way, then screw the 2x4s into the 2x6 to make the 2x6 perfectly plumb and eliminate any deflection.

For the grab bar, I'll probably just do some 2x6 blocking in between the studs.

As I've been framing my basement, I've been putting blocking in every stud cavity. Initially this was just to correct some studs that had bows in them, but I found the blocking really stiffened the walls so I decided to do it everywhere. I'll just carry this into the bathroom walls and add some additional at the bottom by the shower base to support the wall backer board and where the grab bar will go.

Thanks again for the tips. I've never done anything like this so it's helpful to get advice from someone who's done it a few times.
Unread 04-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The standard height for a grab bar is between 32 and 36 inches above finished floor height aka AFF. We normally use 2x8's to be assured the strike zone is hit.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Kman

Yeah, 2x8's or bigger if I have it lying around. Some of the grab bars mounting flanges are 3-4" wide. With a 2x6, you don't have as much room for error.

If you have plenty of 2x6 available, you can stack them in the wall cavity, of course, and give yourself 11" of "strike zone".

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase