Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
Joey Tiles

Grout

Hello Newbie here

My background- started off learning the tile trade in Brooklyn mixing mud and cutting tile, the guy I worked for did full blown mud jobs. From there I went off on my own and built many a bathrooms commercial and residential, installed in restaurants, lobbies, and high end retail. So I have a little bit of experience under my belt.

I eft the biz to do real estate sales, my knees thanked me. But I did miss it.

Recently I was asked to help build a bathroom after another contractor basically installed the worst job I have ever seen. Didn’t use a level just a tape measure and eyeing it. Did so much damage it took two weeks to get it fixed. He poured 3” of regular concrete on a second floor bath with a rotted subfloor. What a mess. Anyway I got the job in shape, the wall tiles are a subway tile that are beveled on all 4 edges and the floor is a marble mosaic 1”x2” with 1/2” x1/2”

So now I am grouting, the client purchased power grout 550 for the walls and tec 620 for the floor. I am not liking the the 550, since each tile is beveled I am using the corner of my grout float to clean the excess out it’s a slow and tedious process. Can’t wipe off the excess on a 45 I have to tool each joint because of the bevel . The pot life on this stuff is too quick, I was told if I mix small options the color might not match, what the heck?

I am also reading that there is/was some issues with the 550. I’ll be back at it tomorrow but I was wondering if any one had any tips or techniques I could use?
Prayers are also welcomed. Lol.

Great site BTW at 58 I just might start to play with tiles again, although my knees are cursing at me.
Unread 09-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome me to the forum, Joseph.

Oh, boy. Power grout. Half the installers seem to love it. And the other half hate it. I’m in the later. Life is too short for grout that gives you grief. Those beveled tiles take a long time to finish off nicely. So, I, too, would break it up into smaller sections. Laticrete Permacolor has a similar short pot life. But it has outstanding color consistency. If there was any way to switch, I’d do that.

P.S. Listen to your knees. If you wanna keep at it with tile, stick only to kitchen backsplashes and nothing else.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Joey Tiles

Here is a close up of the grout and tile finished. Hopefully I have no issues. Just a slow process.
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Joseph, nice work.

I'm only a DIY'er but did have the unenviable experience of using TEC PG once. On a non-challenging back splash.

Never again.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Joey Tiles

I have installed bad grouts in my day, working for builders they don’t buy the best grout. This stuff is the absolute worst. When I have to chisel grout from a joint to finish it that’s a major problem. This stuff is awful. I do not recommend it for any wall or floor for that matter. It took a ton of elbow grease to get it straight. The second picture show how much I scrapped off. I tried to sponge it but was hard as a rock. I mixed it exactly as they specified. I used a measuring cup for the water.
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Kman

I've never had a problem with Power Grout. But it does set up quickly. I measured the water and usually mixed half a bag at a time.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase