Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
djeddieo

narrow bathroom, big floor tiles: can I pitch the entire floor?

First, I am hiring professionals, but I'd love the professional opinion of the experts here. We're expanding and renovating a SECOND FLOOR bathroom that'll be 4-1/2' wide by 12-1/2' long as shown in the attached photo. The shower is curbless with a glass splash panel on each side. The tub will likely have the overflow/drain and tub-filler on the far right as shown in the photo. My choice of floor tile is making any conventional floor sloping a challenge: the tiles are 8" wide by 48" long (they look like barn boards). My layman's idea of how to resolve this is to pitch the whole floor (from top of photo to bottom) to a long linear drain. 1/4" per foot pitch is about an inch overall. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 02-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd look for a wall-hung toilet and probably a vanity that hangs on the wall as well. Other than that, it sounds doable. Setting a toilet or cabinet on a sloping floor is an issue. Most tubs get set in a mortar bed, so that would keep it at the proper level, but if it has an integrated skirt, that could be an issue...it probably wouldn't be long enough at the low end to reach the floor. If you tiled a skirt you made out of framing, it could work but that 1" difference would definitely show across the width since the top of the tub would be level, but the bottom would need to be 1" taller at the low end..
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Not to mention seeing the 1" drop across the tub, the door won't open all the way unless it's cut . Solving one problem is creating a bunch of others.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
NEPA Remodeling
Custom Home Remodeling

That shower stall looks pretty small for a curbless design. What are the dimensions?

Why slope the entire floor? Why not slope the actuate shower area only?

Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling Scranton PA
NEPA Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
workhurts

Seems like you'd have, at most, a 3/4" slope if you just sloped the shower area. Don't understand the point of sloping the entire floor. What are you going to do with the baseboard ... slope that too if you do the whole floor?

Schluter and probably others sell a piece of metal that protects the non sloped tile within the shower area.

Anyway, as a non professional and definitely not an expert, seems like a pretty horrible idea to slope an entire floor.
Unread 02-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I see negatives already stated plus:

1. If the room is indeed 54" wide, that's gonna be a tiny tub, assuming you can find one. Standard alcove tub is 60".

2. A linear drain requires slope within the drain itself, which would likely mean a joist structure specifically designed to accommodate the drain assembly.

3. The shower and shower head as drawn is going to spray on the floor in front of shower. You need more space to effectively implement a door-less shower, much less a curb-less one.

4. I'd look at alternative floorplans if possible. The layout and size will mostly limit use to one-at-a-time plus I think it would feel like a hall with bath fixtures.

5. Hard to get 10 lbs. of potatoes in a 5 lb. bag. Why not combine shower and tub into one?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
djeddieo

hey, thanks for all the replies. sorry I haven't responded, never got the email alert.

Quote:
I'd look for a wall-hung toilet and probably a vanity that hangs on the wall as well.
Great minds think alike. The wall-mount toilet would have required opening up the wall and ceiling of the living room below the bath, according to the plumber. I did choose a wall-mount vanity with an 18" depth, below.

Quote:
That shower stall looks pretty small for a curbless design. What are the dimensions?
34" x 34" leaves a 20" passageway to get to the tub.

Quote:
Why slope the entire floor? Why not slope the actuate shower area only?
The floor tiles are 4 feet long, but it turns out I can't slope the floor the way I thought; the floor joists run top to bottom, based on the plan orientation.

Quote:
If the room is indeed 54" wide, that's gonna be a tiny tub, assuming you can find one. Standard alcove tub is 60".
53" freestanding tub shown below.
Quote:
A linear drain requires slope within the drain itself, which would likely mean a joist structure specifically designed to accommodate the drain assembly.
We now plan to put the drain in the shower, oriented top to bottom.
Quote:
The shower and shower head as drawn is going to spray on the floor in front of shower. You need more space to effectively implement a door-less shower, much less a curb-less one.
I'm hoping to mitigate that by mounting showerhead extra high and oriented close to straight down.
Attached Images

Unread 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
zeaflal

I am not following your design details. However, the question is when (not if) water is spilled outside the shower where does it flow to? Is the drain downhill from everywhere in the room?

I also think a 1/2 inch crack on multiple sides of a free standing tub sounds like a bad idea. Have you considered a spacious shower and no tub?
Unread 02-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
djeddieo

My contractor drew the drain location below, and he does plan to pitch the tiles to it. Why do you think the tub having minimal space around it would be a bad idea?
Attached Images

Unread 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
houndzilla

Edward, check out my bathroom project. We have very similar layouts minus the toilet on a different wall.

I'm not done as I'm saving all the tile work work in the bathroom for last, but I've solved all the technical problems associated with this type of layout and what you are planning to do.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=121066

If you'd like I'd be more than happy to to talk on the phone sometime, if interested shoot me a PM. I will say this, doing a shower and tub in a singular wetroom is technically challenging. Make sure your contractor knows their stuff.
Unread 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
djeddieo

PMing you George; I'd love to see what floor and wall tile you've chosen and any photos....

also, I see we have more than narrow bathrooms in common; we also both have wives that demand tubs and we seem to share an affinity for quotes in our posts!

Last edited by djeddieo; 02-28-2018 at 02:59 PM.
djeddieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
houndzilla

floor and wall behind the tub 8"x48" Vibe Quercia
http://www.caesarceramicsusa.com/pia...vibe/index.jsp

Long walls in wetroom and wainscot behind sink and toilet 3"x12"
http://www.vallelungacer.it/collezio...catta/?lang=en

The interior designers in my architecture office gave me a thumbs up on the selection. Purchased through Virginia Tile utilizing my pro discount. Not cheap tile, hopefully they live up to the reputation of the "good italian rectified tiles" I've read about on here.

I haven't even started tiling yet. I'm hopping I'll be able to start tiling the living room sometime in April, bathroom won't be started probably until mid/late summer. Wifey got pregnant with baby number 2 at the very start of this project. I'm doing everything but plumbing, and electrical myself and I made good progress until she was about 7/8 months pregnant, took a break when kiddo came, and now I'm ramping up again.
Unread 02-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
mullet
░░░░░░░

smaller sink
Attached Images

Unread 03-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
djeddieo

Quote:
Vibe Quercia + calacatta
Is it a coincidence or is everyone picking these looks?? My floor tile and wall tile are nearly identical! MSI Country River Mist 8" x 48" and MSI Calacatta 12" x 24"....
Attached Images

Unread 03-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #15
djeddieo

Quote:
smaller sink
I gave my wife several ideas, but a large countertop was high on her list. One place I disagree with George is the the double sink. We're married 25 years and I can't even imagine being side-by-side over bathroom sinks! Give you an idea of the hand we were dealt with this bathroom, in the bedroom of our summer house. Original layout featured a tiny bathroom with a bifold door, a 24" makeshift vanity and a plastic pre-fab shower stall, plus a spa tub OUTSIDE the bathroom!
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase