Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
esc
n00b

Dark grout turning WHITE!!?!??

HELP?

I just installed porcelan on the floor of my bathroom. I used a darker shade of grout (MP sanded)...the color is "amber". I did the grout last night and finished at about 10PM. I got up this morning (8AM) and much of the grout has a white chalky look to it.

I wiped up the grout haze several times with clean sponges / water last night. No residue remains on the tile.

This is the second room I've done with this material...in fact, this room was done with the same bag of grout as the first but I didn't have this issue with the first room.

Any ideas what I did wrong? How can I remove this white stuff? I do plan on sealing the grout with Miracle sealer.

I still have two more rooms to do with this same material so if I'm doing something wrong I want to make sure I don't have this problem with the next room.

Thanks in advance.

Jack of all trades...master of none.
esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Mostly likely when you cleaned up the area with the sponge the sponge was too wet. Also do you have well water? when you grout u must wring your sponge so it is very dry and damp and not consumed with water, also the grout may not have been ready to be cleaned off the tile and was still too early to clean.

This is called efflorescence if you read the grout bag there should be an area that talks about it. You can get it out with a mix of 50/50 warm water and white vinegar, Or you can get some phosphuric acid and mix that with water (method i prefer, but burns hands slightly) You want to scrub the area with the solution with a nylon brush and then let it soak for a couple minutes and remove it with a clean bucket of warm water and a sponge or a wetvac and suck it up.

Who makes this grout?

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
esc
n00b

Hey Rick - Thanks for the reply. The grout is made by C-Cure.

I don't have well water but I live in the desert so I do have hard water. I wondered about not waiting long enough to clean. I think I was just worried that the grout would harden on the tile and be a bear to get off. So probably next time I need to wait longer.

I'll look on the bag to see what it says about efflorescence

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
tilelayer

I think C-Cure is a western company ive never used it out here so i can't tell you too much about them.

Normally, when I am grouting i will spread grout until the area where I started turns the color of the grout powder before its mixed, when it looks like that i walk over and poke a joint with my finger to feel how it is curing and them ill stop grouting and switch over to spreading id say 90% of the time the grouts ready to be washed. Then I clean the area with a sponge wrung out pretty dry and i change my water every 70 sq ft id say, i change my cleanup water alot from what i hear from other tile setters who watch me grout. This way the area doesn't haze up that much for the next wash and then i change the water as soon as it gets cloudy carrying 2 buckets at a time.

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
esc
n00b

Thanks again Rick.

Another question - How long do I HAVE to wait between the time the tile is set and grout. The bag says 72 hours...that seems like a long time. I only waited about 28 hours. Is that a big deal? It would be difficult to wait a full 3 days...

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
tilelayer

no we usually install the first day and the next day grout and sometimes we install from 8 in the morning till 8 at night and still walk the floor the next day and grout it. We tell people 24 hours but my boss claims 12 hours is what it takes i beg to differ, If you need to build up areas with thinset using a larger trowel backbuttering i think it may take a bit longer to dry.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase