Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
EclecticGal
EcleticGal

Question Concrete Slab Floor--Can I tile directly on top of it?

Okay, so I searched the forums for a while and didn't find an answer, so I thought I'd just jump on in.

I pulled all the carpet from my condo and I want to replace the existing tile in entry way and linoleum from the kitchen and lay down tile. I might put wood in the rest, I still don't know.

Can I put the tile down right on top of the concrete slab? It looks like they did with the existing tile, but I want to do it right--well, do it right but on a budget.

I haven't a clue yet as to what kind of tile I'll be using yet. I'll most likely be going with the cheapest, but nicest tile I can get. I like the travertine look, but I'll prob go with the closest cheapest facsilmile. I don't plan on living here for ever and want to save all the "upgrade" stuff for a house that I'll buy next.

And since I'm asking questions....I know you tile guys (and gals) can answer me this.....I had an aha moment looking at the more porous tiles and realized that it might not be the best bet in terms of cleaning--dirt getting stuck in the crevices and such. What is your opinion on (or experience) of wear on porous tiles?

By the way, my condo doesn't have any regulations on sound barriers (unfortunately 'cos the person above me tiled their entire unit with ugly white shiny tile and it's very loud above me). I'm above the garages anyway.
EclecticGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

thats what we do here
Unread 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

We could use some pitchers of what you have (we LOVE pitchers!)

Having said all that....we can walk you thru your installation, BUT...dont just buy the cheapest stuff around. A higher quality ain't much more and (trust this) it's far easier to install. Put a bunch of the tiles you're considerin' on edge and see if they all line up. Biggest problem is tiles that aren't the same size. More common than you might think. Get that done and call us back. Measure the area out and then add about 10% for waste, cuts, broken tiles and a few spares.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
EclecticGal
EcleticGal

Okay, so I measured today and then went to price tiles, I've been looking around at them for a while, but it was better knowing the dimensions to get an idea of how much it's going to cost me.

When I do my bathroom (with a new tile shower) that's gonna cost (lots of tile when you're talking about the full height of the wall. whew!

I'll try to get some pichers posted this weekend. There are a couple tiles that were cracked when I bought it. I'll pull them up to see if there is a crack underneath that matches. I hope not.
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
ccarlisle

Some tiles no matter what type (natural or man-made) can have little indentations that collect dirt and, after a while, make your tiles look dirty - no matter how much you clean them. Unfilled travertine is an obvious example and glazed ceramic on the opposite end of that scale. And whereas glazed ceramic may be easy to keep clean, the grout between the tiles isn't and so, unless the finished floor's grout has been sealed, then you'll run the risk of having a nice dirty floor that'll bug you every time you walk on it.

You can get nice porcelain tiles that look like stone but that don't carry the maintenance requirements of stone along with it...porcelain is maybe 20% more expensive that ceramic, but does have other advantages. It's worth looking at.

It should be possible to lay the tiles directly on the cement based on what you've said so just make sure that whoever does it seals the grout about 2-3 days after installation is finished. That will ensure your tiles stay nice-looking - including when you move out.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
EclecticGal
EcleticGal

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing the job myself.

The info you gave was great, because I looked at all three types you mentioned and wasn't sure which to go for. I definately want easy maintenance. So, I'll start looking at the porcelain more.
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

I usually membrane concrete if it is a slab. If this is concrete over a Robinson Deck (commerical office bldg and condo flooring term), then tile over the concrete is generally acceptable.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

Tiling straight over concrete slab is common practice here...... why put a membrane over the concrete??. I have laid thousands of square meters of tiles directly over concrete over the years with no problems

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase