Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
HouseOfJoe

Tiling directly to Concrete Slab

I'm about to help a friend tile a small entryway (maybe 3x9) and a small bathroom (5x5 ish) in his basement with 12x12 porcelain tile. The floor is a concrete slab. Not sure of the age, but probably about 10-15 years, maybe a little less.

I know if we tile directly to the floor and it cracks, then the tile will crack. Other than that risk, is there any other reason not to do it? If the floor in the areas we're going to work on are crack free and are as old as I think they are, are we being foolish? I know my friend won't be eager to spend money for more substrate prep, but that's what I'll talk him into if that's what we need to do.

What are the pros and cons here? I really appreciate any feedback that will prevent my friend from being irritated with me in a year or so!

Joe
HouseOfJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
John Corley

Hello

I always put underlayment down on my cement slabs when I tile, however I live in Southern California and we experience a lot of earth movement.

If the slab is as old as you say, and the earth does not quake where you live then go for it!

Good luck

John
John Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
jay f
Illinois Flooring Man

Send a message via Yahoo to jay f
As a form of cheap insurance, I would consider using one of the newer thinsets that are sort of a CI thinset. I recall Mark speaking of one that Customs makes, and I am sure that at least some others make them too. Just a thought.

give me thin set or give me death!!!
jay f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
jdm

Custom is billing its brand-new MegaLite as crack prevention mortar. Might be worth a look.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

Your floor have any cracks now?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
HouseOfJoe

Hi cx,

I've only seen this floor a couple times...I'm going over to talk to them again Tuesday and I'll take a closer look then, but I can say that across the main area of the floor there are no major cracks. There may be some very minor ones that I didn't notice the first time around...not sure about that, but I don't think so.

Joe
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Joe, Welcome aboard.

They are small floor areas, not all that much of a risk. I would got right to the concrete in this case, although an antifracture membrane is always good insurance. The Custom brand of thin set that is currently in Home Depot that will add protection from cracking is called "Flex Bond." It's about $26 per sack, but again, you are not doing a large area. I recommend using that thin set.

Tell us where you are located. I may take it all back.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
HouseOfJoe

Hi John, thanks for the welcome. I've actually been lurking here for a few months. The amount of info and the generosity of you and the merry crew here in sharing your expertise is pretty darn wonderful. Kudos to you!

I'm in Nebraska, so we certainly have our share of freeze/thaw cycles. Also, the entryway is, of course, by the door of the walkout basement, and is on the southern exposure and gets a fair bit of sun. The bath is on the north end of the basement and won't get any sun at all. I'll check around for the Flex Bond. Given where I am, the size of what I'm doing and the apparent good condition of the floor, do you think that's enough?

On a not so related topic, does anybody have any good websites/resources for tile patterns/layouts?

Joe
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Joe... here are a few tile design URL's

http://www.bedrosians.com/flrpatrn.htm

http://www.superior-tile.com/Patterns.asp

http://252fwww.thevirtualshowroom.com/CT/Dal/dal's_tile_patterns.htm

http://www.floridatile.com/NewPatter...ry/Pattern.htm

There are also CAD design tools for tile available for download... but I can't find them right now.

Good luck to ya.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
GregO

Joe,

If there are no cracks or more importantly, uneveness between cracks, then I too would recommend Custom Building Product's Flexbond. It is a little more expensive, but a small price to pay for a little extra insurance. Just make sure there's no glaze or sealer present. Sprinkle a little water onto the surface. If it beads on the surface, you should rough it up. If the water penetrates/soaks in, you should be good to go.

Greg
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
HouseOfJoe

How much unevenness can thinset alone cover?

I KNOW this question must have been asked and answered a thousand times, but darned if I can find it, so...

Concrete slab, small area (3x7 or so), laying 12x12 tile directly to it. If I have nonflat areas, what's the maximum height those areas can be to just use thinset to level them out? And whatever that number is, if thinset CAN be used for the flattening process, do you put it down and screed it and let it dry first, or can you just put down a thicker layer when you're laying the tile?

Thanks for any opinions!

Joe
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I have answered this a thou...just kiddin,i wouldn't go more than a quarter inch or so,it tends to crack up if you go deeper,otherwise you can flattrowel some thinset, then some stucco mix,or sand topping mix on top.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #13
jay f
Illinois Flooring Man

Send a message via Yahoo to jay f
I personally wouldn't use thinset for anything more that a light 1/4". Prescreeding will make it easier to install the tile, although if we are only talking of 1/8", I would fill as I tile.

give me thin set or give me death!!!
jay f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #14
HouseOfJoe

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase