Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
llavey

Fireplace updating

Hello everyone,

I've received some excellent guidance here in the past and am back again.

This project I am looking to resurface over a brick fireplace. When we remodeled our house, we tore it down keeping the original fireplace. The ceilings are higher now so that is the first thing that needs to be addressed. I'd also like to modernize it to fit our more transitional architecture. My first concern is if I stick ledger stone or slate tile to it do I need to worry about the added weight? I've started looking at some veneer products, but have not found any that would provide the finish I'm looking for.

Attached are a few pictures of the fireplace that show what i am working with. The fireplace is 8'6" long, 9' high and 32" wide, a sizable area compared to the small fireplace downstairs, which also used to have the same brick.

Thanks for your comments and ideas.
Link
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Usually adding a few hundred pounds of tile to a fireplace isn't a weight problem but with this one being upstairs it's hard to say without knowing how this fireplace is supported.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
llavey

Davy,

The fireplace passes through the first floor to the basement. I have no idea what kind of footings are under it. The house was built in the early 60ís. The ground under the house is sand. So am I catching the 1 - 2 thousand pounds of additional weight is not a big concern?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Link,

Does the basic foot print of the upstairs FP match that of the downstairs FP? And what is the downstairs FP sitting on, a slab?

Without knowing what is supporting that large column of weight I, too, would be reluctant to add significant weight to it. I think we can reasonably assume that whole column is supported by a proper foundation because, after all, it is still standing, but I'd want to know for certain.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
llavey

SS3964spd,

Yes. The footprint downstairs matches upstairs. It is sitting on the slab. I don't know if there is additional footing under the slab, or if that is even required. I did forget to mention when we rebuilt the house we raised the roof about 4 ft. That required the the chimney to be raised the same. You can see the old ceiling height by the marks on the brick in the pictures. What you can't see is the external height change which includes a going from a 4 to 6 pitch roof.

Thanks,
Link
Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Extensive work you've had done on that house, Link, including raising the chimney height. Was a structural engineer was involved?

Given the weight of all that brick, not to mention the flue, fire boxes, and the hearths, the entire column almost has to be sitting on its own foundation. If it isn't, well, I'd probably move.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
llavey

lol... Thanks.

Back when the remodel was done I didn't have the time for all this type of research. We had a very reputable General Contractor manage all the critical components to include all the engineering. They did all the tear down, rough reconstruction and completely finished the exterior. I did things like the pex heat & plumbing, finish flooring, trim and other non-structural interior work.

Last edited by llavey; 01-16-2019 at 06:47 AM.
llavey is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase