Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
rimiranda

New master bath

Lurking here for a while picking up tips. I am at a point where I need some specific help. I have tiled about half way up the walls with 8"X10"s and added some listellos and trim tiles to top it off. The listellos are 1/2 round ~1"x8" the accent is 3"x8" with a design on it. My shower is built in the corner (about 4ft square with the entrance on one of the corners cut at 45 degrees). My problem is that there is about 4 inches on each jamb return for the door and the listellos that I am using have no prefab end pieces. These tiles are also not solid so that they can be worked like wood and trim a return into itself. The shower entrance was going to be picture framed with bullnose. This listello is about 1/4" proud of the bullnose and the void in the back of the listello is visible. What is the usual way to deal with this? I have been looking for a trim accent to butt the listello against, but haven't found anything good yet. I am also going to try to shave / slope the back of the listello so that it dies into the wall even with the bullnose, but don't know how that will look yet. I will attempt to add some pictures tonight.
Mike
rimiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I'm kinda lost, myself,maybe a pic, Mike.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

I'm kinna lost to, but can say this. Just because those tiles are not solid doesn't mean you can't miter them and "return" them into the wall to terminate the end in a finished fashion like you would with a piece of chairail molding.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
rimiranda

new pics of situation

My pics are too large. Here is one detailing the trim tiles and the location I am talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 09-23-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Help with picture posting :)
Unread 09-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg

It looks like you tiled all the way to the corner with the full field tiles. Are you planning on tiling around the corner? I ask because normally a bullnose is what is used where the tile stops.

Regardless of what's happening with the bullnoses at the level of the field tile, it looks like you have a couple of choices with the liners to get rid of the hollow space:
1) You could back miter the liners and return them into the wall, or
2) You could miter the top and bottom liner and add a third piece of liner vertically to connect the top and bottom together. It would look like 3 sides of a "picture frame".

Or something completely different. Just a couple of ideas.

Unread 09-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
rimiranda

Where the field ends is not a 90 degree. That is where the 45 degree return for the shower entrance is. I will end up grouting the outside 45. I thought about the dual miter to connect the top and bottom band, but don't know how it will look. I will probably end up cutting a return to end each band. I have cut all the previous inside and outside 45s with my 4.5" angle grinder with a diamond wheel. It gets hairy, but it is working. Cutting that tiny 45 degree return will be difficult without breaking the piece. Any suggestions?
Unread 09-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg

suggestions........

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......yeah....a wetsaw.

You're planning on running those liners around the corner, right? Those pieces can remain a respectable size while back mitering them at 22 1/2 degrees each. You might want to hit the outside corner of the miter with a rub stone so there isn't a sharp area to hurt yourself on.

But if somewhere along the line you do want to "return the liner into the wall" with a tiny mitered piece, an angle grinder is going to vibrate a whole bunch and will be dicey like you say. I don't like comprimising safety to get a job done. If I absolutely had to cut it with a grinder, I suppose using some modeling clay to hold onto the small piece while you keep your hands clear may work. It would cut down on vibration too.

Hmmmmmm......sure you don't know anyone who has a wetsaw you could make a few cuts with?

Unread 09-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
rimiranda

Couple more pics different views.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2.doc (44.5 KB, 360 views)
File Type: doc 3.doc (46.0 KB, 291 views)
File Type: doc 4.doc (32.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: doc 5.doc (46.5 KB, 346 views)
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
rimiranda

any other ideas
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

Hi Mike,
I can't speak for the others, but I'm kinda wondering what ideas you are still looking for.

Unread 09-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #11
rimiranda

I guess just any other ideas for terminating those trim tiles and what would look best. An accent tile to terminate might work if I can find one the right size, color, and texture. I may end up biting the bullet and try to cut the little returns. I'll post a pic when I figure it out. I may be grouting everything but the shower entrance this weekend so that I can start installing toilet, jacuzzi, dual vanity, lights, tv. I am going to install a water filter under the sink for the wife so that she can drink the tap water. The trap door for the jacuzzi mechanicals was not that hard. I ended up using 4 powerful magnetic catches to hold in place and will silicone around. Installed "Warmly Yours" electric radiant under the floor tiles, haven't fired it up yet though. Tested the resistance after tiling and all was OK. Ended up installing the whirlpool GFCI blank in the shleving unit away from the tub. Per code in my town it had to be not under and accesible on another wall. Plumbed it all using the PEX. That was pretty easy. No leaks first time and ran it quick. If I had to sweat joints, some would have been nearly inaccessible. Saving the shower for last. I may do the floor in blue tile and add accents to the walls. I will probably end up with a custom glass shower door. I haven't ordered the Kerdi yet, but am planning on it soon.
Unread 10-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
rimiranda

I have started grouting the walls. Small grout lines ~ 1/16 inch. I grouted about half last night. Checked this morning and discovered that the grout shrank and left many pinholes and gaps in coverage. It looked fine last night. I'll have to go over it again. Is it because the thin lines. My floor tile has 1/4 gaps. I forsee no problems with filling these. Have done that before, but this is the first wall tile job. I guess I took too much off with the sponge. I may just float it as clean as I can and not sponge it off and clean it up / buff it after to ensure proper fill. It is unsanded grout for the walls sanded for the floor. I got color matched caulk for the corners and wall to floor joints. I'll be gald when the tiling is done and I can install the fixtures.
Unread 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
rimiranda

bump
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
rimiranda

Finally Done

Decided to miter the listello trim...had to order a few more to finish. Kerdi'ed the shower. All that's left is the shower door. Added some small pics. My original pics are too large.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase