Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
MLRich

Divot Method

Hi Guys, this is my first post but Ive visited here for a few months now. Ive discovered a few things that could make my life a little easier so I thank you all for that. The one thing I'm most interested in is the "Divot Method". Unfortunately I could not find much info on it. The search function doesn't seem to work for me.... at all. It likes to ignore the keywords i type in 100%. Maybe that's a human error on my behalf, idk? Back to the divot method though. Ive always used pre-slope, pan liner, and a mud bed and I'm almost never satisfied with the results. From the bits and pieces Ive gathered on these forums it seems like I could save a lot of time and frustration using this "divot method" If anybody could post a link to some helpful threads or just make a quick list of the steps starting at the studs I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing I could find other than what is on this forum is a you-tube video of some guy putting fabric membrane around the divot attached to the drain assembly with waterproofing. I have a couple showers in a week and I would like to try this out.
Unread 10-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Hi Marc, welcome.
Here is a link to some different divot threads. Here is the one with the simplest pictures. On one of my older computers, the basic search button has some kind of programming conflict, won't work either, but I can always make it work by just clicking on "Advanced Search" after clicking the basic search button, might work for you.
Unread 10-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mark,

Basically, the divot method is a means of doing a surface membrane shower (either sheet or liquid membrane) while avoiding the use of a surface bonding drain. Personally, I'll spend the money for the surface bondable drain and avoid the divot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Jim Cordes

Yea in my opinion its a type of job that you do because of job constraints, not something you do if you have time to plan. It works yes, but if you have time to plan i would go with something else.
Unread 10-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
MLRich

Thanks for the quick reply's guys. I was thinking this would be a good method because I always seem to have issues with corner build out which can lead to building the whole shower out when using large format tiles. The pan seems to build it out almost a 1/4" and Kerdi seems to be just as bad. It also seems like I might be able to skip the preslope using this method. Correct me if im wrong and let me know if anybody has some helpful tips to prevent this issue. I subcontract through a local flooring store so I never have a chance to plan ahead more than a week or so and the builders around me use the 3 part drain system 99% of the time. Thanks again.
Unread 10-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Probably the biggest time constraint with the divot system is the cure time on the mud bed. I give it 72 hrs before I put my waterproofing down.

That may, or may not, be an issue to you.

Again there may be ways to work around that also.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Jim Cordes

Nelson correct, it takes a full three days before you can liquid membrane a mud bed.
you can use 8+9 if you want it does not require that much time.

or you can just keep using the three piece clamping drains. at least you wont have build-up.

Or you can switch sheet membranes to something like Durock which from what ive been told is alot thinner and less build-up.
Unread 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The corners in a shower don't have to be big...if you're using Kerdi and the premade corners, put your drywall up so that the taper is in the corner...no buildup at all, at least on the walls where it matters more.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase