Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Laticrete New Products: Permacolor Select and Plasma Grout

Teaser alert!

I'm currently at a Laticrete training session, and they gave us a preview of some new products. Can't say more until Monday, but they look very promising. Actual availability is probably mid-January 2015. More on Monday after their weekend reveal and official release.

Stay tuned...
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

New urethane'ish grout I'm sure... err.. guessing.

Other than that, I think we're all still waiting on the hydroban board.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

There still fine-tuning the HydroBan board and getting things ready for the release.

But yes. Some have tested the new grout and it's pretty nice. It's a single component grout.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Its not a teaser when many guys in the field have already known about the new products for a while.

Say "hi" to Rampino.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

I heard the new products are Laticrete Soap on a rope and a glitter additive to thinset. But the above sound good too.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

The grout glitter additive they've had available for most of ten years that I know of, Kevin.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Let's not forget the luminescent additive.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Dan Kramer
Registered Tile/Stone User

Waterproofing thinset and grout !?!? Three steps in one bag.
Unread 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Art of Stone
VP of Technical and Training MLT System

Have they finally worked out a deal with Elmo and releasing, "helper in a bag"?

“Vision without execution is hallucination.”

― Thomas A. Edison

http://www.mltsystem.com
Art of Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

One product that has been around for at least awhile that I, anyways, had not heard about is their 125 sound mat/crack isolation mortar. It contains 30% recycled, chopped up rubber, in a Portland cement mixture that meets all of the requirements for a crack isolation membrane that you get with just using the product. Holds tile down really well (but does take a FULL 24-hours to get hard) and has some varying amounts of sound attenuation depending on how big your notches are. To get the max sound attenuation benefit, you have to use a 1/2" U-notched trowel, and backbutter each tile. But, if you do that, you can meet some fairly stringent sound control measures often imposed in condos, high-rises, and similar structures all just by one product while thinsetting your tile down. It comes in the same sized bag as 50# of 'normal' thinset, but it only weighs 25#. Coverage would depend on the amount of sound attenuation you want (i.e., thickness, as with any thinset).

I know that I, and pretty much everyone I know of, are mispronouncing Laticrete. It originally was intended to be a shortened latex (additive to con) crete. So the 'A' is pronounced like lAtex, and not cAt. They'll be glad to sell it to you regardless of how you pronounce it, though.

I do not know if people realized that they'll make a linear drain pretty much any size that you want and with any finish. Depending on how complicated it is, it may take at least a couple of weeks. They recently made a 23' one for a spa in NYC. The max length of the grate is 8', though, so you can actually lift one and not have it twist (especially if you chose a tile-in version), but you can have multiples on the drain. They can also put the outlet anywhere along it or out an end, or have multiples, if it makes your life easier. They also made a gold plated one for a prince in Saudi. All depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to pay. But, if you have a weird job, they can accommodate you.

Anyway, may have some more when I go over my notes, and will mention those new product(s?) after the delay they asked for, on Monday.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Yep, I forgot to mention that Dave. The glitter in the thin set is supposed to be luminescent – glow-in-the-dark. A real plus. But I also heard that they've added flavors to the thin set. I hope they have banana pineapple. That's one of my favorites. And lastly for the installer - I understand they've finally come up with some crack isolation Carhart pants. That'll be a big help in customer relations

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Dan Kramer
Registered Tile/Stone User

That glow in the dark stuff works. Cool stuff!
Attached Images

Unread 10-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #13
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Ohh darn no fun
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

It was great fun...I liked it....but would have lit a firestorm....Have they got they sprayer corrected at the board plant yet? New 4XLT???

The 125's cool stuff it's also crazy$$$
Unread 10-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Okay, some of you may know about the new products, but here they are for the rest of you.

A new one part grout. They call it a hybrid. It gets much harder, faster than the others out there.

The second one is new more in the implementation than the product itself. Picture the grout in the conventional package, but without the pigment. Stock one base, sort of like when you go to the paint store, and a package of pigment that is in a self-dissolving packet. Then, picture having a packet that matches most of the big names of other brands on the market. IOW, you can match nearly any grout color out there with only one base, and a base that you know. The color packets are inexpensive and have a two year shelf life. The base, as most cement products, is one year. But, since you can make any color, and the color packets last longer, you can have a bunch of colors on hand, and not have much tied up in inventory. Packaging currently planned is 12.5 and 25 pound packages. Color packets, one per 12.5 ponds. Trying to mix less than 12.5 pound increments would be risky, since it would be hard to divide a color pack. The packet of pigment dissolves in the mixing water otherwise, it would be sort of like toner from a copier...really messy.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase