Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #61
Steve in Land O Lakes

The Seat arrived today...

The Seat from Goof Proof arrived today.
My Durock boards are up, but not yet taped and thinsetted.
I am going to Redgard the walls after the taping & thinset are done.
The seat gets six screws (3 on each side).
Optimal install is into studs (or secure blocking) through the CBU. I will be installing one wall into secure blocking with long supplied screws and the other side (exterior wall) shorter screws going into 3/4" high grade plywood that has been attached to the concrete blocks with liquid nail and tap-con's
Question 1) The install calls for adhesive on back of seat to the backer board. Doesn't say what kind; what would you use (seat is a fiber polypropylene, same material as the Quick Pitch Sticks)?
Question 2) Would you Redgard and then install the seat; or would you install the seat and then Redgard?
Attached Images

Unread 04-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #62
Steve in Land O Lakes

Grout Selection for Pebble Stone shower floor

Suggestion for Grout for the shower floor.

Mapei Keracolor U was suggested by a contractor. Custom's Fusion Pro by a guy that works for him

Shower floor is 32" x 60" (sliced pebbles 3/8" thick, they will be hand set individually in Mapei LFT thinset...
Attached Images

Unread 04-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #63
rmckee84

I would say no to unsanded and a big no to fusion in s shower. Unsanded for the most part isnt rated for joints bigger than 1/8" and fusion simply isnt a good choice for wet areas regardless of what custom claims.
Pick a quality cement based thinset like ardex FL, or laticrete permacolor select. Epoxy is the best but has a bit of a learning curve.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #64
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some of the acrylic based, pre-mixed grouts are similar to the epoxy ones in overall hardness. They're also very good about color consistency. Once the bucket is opened, you have months to finish up if you close it up properly.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #65
Steve in Land O Lakes

Reply to those that replied abut Grout...

Thanks for the replies!
Ryan, I will be placing the "Sliced Pebbles/Stones" piece by piece, but given the irregular shapes of the stones I am pretty sure the grout joints would average larger than an 1/8". Given this whole shower redo started over grout issues, I would love to use the epoxy. The issue with using epoxy is you have to do the work quickly, to get it into the joints and then off the tiles quickly?

Jim, I love the thought of not having to mix (not the labor, the worry over getting it right). If the acrylic pre-mixed gets very hard, lasts a while in the container and has a good color consistency; it sounds like the attributes of "Epoxy". Is there a down side to using acrylic grout? Would you please give a name or two of what you believe to be the better/best Acrylic grouts?
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Unread 04-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #66
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Steve, I wouldn't use Flexcolor or Fusion on the pebbles. And, we have had more complaints about the Fusion than we have the Flexcolor. I have used many Customs products for many years and speak highly of them most of the time but the Fusion they can have.

With both of these grouts you must wash the tiles off before the grout firms up in the joint. If you don't, they will leave a film or haze on the tiles. Some tiles are worse than others. With the years of grouting experience most of us have, we can clean the tiles off without having haze problems most of the time but it always requires me to wash the tiles with very wet grout in the joints. This makes it very easy for the joints to be washed too low, especially for someone with very little grout experience. Don't listen to the BS about how fast they are to use, it's not that fast if you have to do parts of the floor a second time or scrub it down with haze remover the next day for an hour.

In my opinion, a sealer isn't near as important in a shower as it is in a kitchen. So a cement based grout can be used with less problems keeping the joints full. I would use Prism, myself.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #67
Steve in Land O Lakes

Was just telling the Mrs. Kitchen gets more stains than shower...

Davy, Prism sounds good. Your logic on Kitchen having more likelihood of stains than the Bathroom is sound.

The only issue is no stores here stock it. Home Depot has it as an "online item". The Mrs. wants to pick color and the only color selection will be on the computer?

That said, I guess they (Grouts) all can dry a little different than they show on the box or a chart. The tile that you use would make difference, etc.

$31 in change per 17 lb. bag isn't too bad. I just wish someone local stocked it (but the whole concept of stocking inventory seems to disappearing, the Internet is winning)...

I was planning on Regarding the walls tomorrow. if it takes a while to settle on the grout and tiling ends up a week or more away, does that pose any problems for the shower sitting there with just the Redgard finish on it? I realize that may sound silly, not going to poke holes in it, but does the Redgard get issues if left uncovered for a couple of weeks?

We are getting our tile at "Floor and Decor" in Tampa. They stock only Mapei grout. is their Keracolor sanded grout a decent choice for the pebbles? Also if I need to use sanded grout on the pebbles on the floor, do I use non sanded on the wall tiles 3x6 porcilyn?

Last edited by Steve in Land O Lakes; 04-22-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
Steve in Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #68
Lou_MA

Re: uncovered redgard, see “protection” section https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf

Covering it would also help if it was near windows or would otherwise have a lot of sun exposure.
Unread 04-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #69
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Home Depot sells Custom products and should be able to get you Prism grout. Prism has a shorter shelf life than other cement grouts so ordering it should
(you would think) guarantee a fresher box. They have a grout chart there and the Prism is made in most, maybe all of their colors.

I don't see any issues with Redgard sitting a few weeks untiled. On floors, I would protect Redgard with a drop cloth or a piece of old carpet.

I have used Mapei grouts a few times but not enough to give an opinion. I'll let others that use it a lot reply about that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #70
Steve in Land O Lakes

Lou, It seems kind of delicate...

Thanks for posting, I read it, the membrane seems kind of delicate. I hope its not and its just the Company exercising extreme caution. My shower might sit regarded without tile for more than a week. that said, it isn't going to experience the effects of weather and the only sunlight is a small casement window, which I will now cover
Unread 04-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #71
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Make sure all the dust is removed from the CBU before you apply the Redgard. I would even wipe it down with a wet sponge to help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #72
Steve in Land O Lakes

Reply to those that replied...

Davy I vacuumed the boards today, I will vacuum them again before I start. Then as you suggest I will run a damp sponge over the Durock before I roll on the Redgard.

I will see if the Mrs. wants to go to HD to check out the color chart.

Floor and Decor stocks the Mapei Keracolor stuff. I am curious about what some of the professional tile people think about it...
Unread 04-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #73
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Troubling choice in Land O Lakes FL Shower rebuild.

I use Mapei mostly, and really like the products they have. As has been said their FlexColor is a better choice than Fusion in a shower. But I won't use FlexColor on a natural stone and/or a pebble mosaic.

KeraColor is okay, but it's pretty much entry grade. You will have some issue with color consistency.

I really prefer their UltraColor FA for these types of project. It's a fast setting grout, once you mix you have max 45 minutes. Once it flashes off, you're done. But it's a good product, the color consistency is much better, very good for a cement grout. Same thing, tho, too much water will wash the color out. Just mix in small batches.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #74
Steve in Land O Lakes

Nelson tell me if I understood you correctly, please.

If I mix enough to do half a shower floor (in my case less than 8 square feet) I would have about 45 minutes to work the grout into the joints, remove the excess and wash down the residue/haze?

I think that is doable even for a slow moving DIY.

Then can I just start to mix another batch and do the other half or do I have to let the part I just did dry/cure?

I think, unless I am missing something, doing the 15 square foot floor all at once shouldn't be a problem...
Unread 04-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #75
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Yes, you should be able to do the entire floor.

I just grouted a 50 sf pebble floor last week with UltraColor. I mixed a batch, floated it in, mixed another batch, floated that in, and mixed the third. Immediately after that I popped a few pieces of plywood on top of fresh grout to get to the back side for my first wash/rub down. I had 4 buckets of water prepped before hand. Then I had to wait a bit for the final wash. I did have my 6 year old boy helping me. Just saying.

Don't try that the first time!

The larger the batch you mix the faster it sets in the bucket.

Remember to let the grout slake.

When you see the tops of two thirds of the pebble turn the dry dusty color it's time to be on it for your first wash.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase