Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #121
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

The point of the closed group is to insulate the pros from customers.

If you hired someone to do a job, then found they were asking their Internet buddies how to do it...you might feel a little less confident in the ability of your professional.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #122
mullet
░░░░░░░

I think a Pro sub forum only for pro's is a good idea (pricing, dealing with certain customers, manufacture reps, advanced advice.....) but I still like looking at the "work in progress" thread plus I learn a lot reading in the open pro area. Just from a DIY prospective.
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #123
blue_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1968
If you didn't have the pro's you don't get the DIY's.
Probably true but my personal observation based on my own threads as well as following some other threads in the DIY section - only a small percentage of pros - usually the mods plus a few more - ever contribute anything to the DIY threads. If all the pros apart from a handful that help on the DIY threads went away the activity level on the DIY portion of the site would not hugely change.

In fact I have noticed a lot of non-pros helping out other non- pros in the DIY section - in many cases with some good advice.
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #124
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_can
In fact I have noticed a lot of non-pros helping out other non- pros in the DIY section - in many cases with some good advice.
This is especially true on many of the basic questions. A lot of DIYers came here, had their questions answered and noticed that they were now able to answer some of the simple, and not so simple, questions that are asked frequently.

We all get a little worn out answering the same question a hundred times but someone always is around to pick up the slack when you just can't find the energy to type out the same answer one more time.

Now, when the advice from DIYers is not so good, a pro usually comes in and provides any corrections that may be necessary. It is a system that works well.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #125
mullet
░░░░░░░

Joe, I agree totally. I always fear of giving the wrong advice and steering someone down the wrong path. I have given advice when it is 100% a no brainier. My hat goes off to the mods they do a ton of work and that is an understatement.
Unread 11-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #126
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

I guess, in summation, that I don't see what any of this really matters.

JBF was started as a DIY site that many pro's utilized as a hangout to discuss the industry. The pro's have since found a better resource and platform to do what they like to do among each other. JBF will continue to be a positive site for DIY'ers as it always has been.

The only real downfall I see in a lack in attendance will be the possibility of a lower influx of money from sponsors to the site's owners. If that is a real concern to some people, well... I'll just bite my tongue on that one. TG has not, as of yet, allowed any paid advertising nor any advertising at all actually.

JBF will continue to do what it does, TG will continue to do what it does. I don't see how any future changes to this board will in fact, actually change anything.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #127
lati_cz
michal

Lots of people looking for good tilers, incl. me here. Not everyone has web site. Why I can't see in public profile pictures of work posted?
Unread 11-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #128
ded dux

This one has been pretty well beaten. We all came to the same conclusion. There is a back room for moderators, make one for pros with a sign up like geeks has, leave the hangout open for DIY folk to view pics and such. I am sure many pros would post here as they do now, but the back room might be more vibrant. I think folks who care about, and want to post here have posted. Some of the stuff is embarrassing to read. Mainly you Evan. I'd be reluctant to use your tone on the geeks, but nobody give me power. If I had any, this one would be done and removed, mods would be allowed to do or not do as they see fit. I am glad Marge posted it, but if you wanna measure dick predicated on being a member of a site that you feel is great, against one you think is failing, neither of which did you lift a single very small muscle to create, then you have nothing more to add. Nor do I, and those who care have seen and posted their feelings. Can this go away and we either change or accept what this forum is? I am happy it was addressed. This is home, and it needs the lawn mowed.
Unread 11-03-2015, 05:31 AM   #129
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Want to hear the real kicker??
I'm not a member of the Geeks.

Suck it up buttercup. I'm saying what many are thinking.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #130
Katwyk tile

I think both JBF and TG compliment each other.
Go to an event like Coverings and hang out at the Russo booth and you see there is a tile family that started here for almost everyone.

What gets posted in each group is the difference.
It's way easier to post photos on Geeks.
I don't feel like big brother is watching so much on Geeks.
As of now there is a lot of innovation that can get posted on Geeks that gets a lot of support and advice from other pro's in the industry.

I lurk here a lot.
I send people seeking tile advice here and they get quick professional instructions and questions answered.

Both groups are a great way to network with people in the tile industry.
A great way to make friends, and great way to stay on the cutting edge as new products and techniques are developed.

John Bridge started this and I know with his blessing he supports what Jack has created.

That's all I have to say about that.
Katwyk tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #131
Marge

Darn Rod....I am trying to hit the Like button.
Unread 11-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #132
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yeah, Marge. I agree.
Unread 11-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #133
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

+1 on the Like, Rod.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #134
Maniac979

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1968
Want to hear the real kicker??
Not really!

Last edited by cx; 11-03-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Maniac979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #135
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Why do I have to hit a "like" button to let the world know i like something? One more reason I hate Facebook.
I can understand Evans frustration with all of this. We are one of the many trades that will stampede over one another to undercut in pricing or hack a procedure to save money. There are VERY FEW professional tile setters left in our trade. When I started out i apprenticed for years before I actually was considered an actual tile setter. I payed my dues. Today, an individual works for a year with someone, then gets a saw and a trowel and out they go and consider themselves a pro setter. I was cocky when I came here but realized I needed to learn more. The true pros I met here inspired me to hone my craft. Get better. Learn as much as I can every day. I think this forum and site lead to the CTEF getting some legs and setting standards for our trade. I just don't want it to become the wild west where a small few belittle and intimidate. Bill V gave me some great insight into mudding that one day lead to a JB Mud Course Event.
I still like the idea of a closed forum for pros.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase