Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
pls

Phil's Hall bath renovation

I am in the process of renovating our hall bathroom on the second floor. The wall that the vanity and toilet are on is 9 feet long and runs parallel to the floor joists. The floor is flat until the floor joist that is 18 inches from the wall. From that joist is slopes about 3/8 in towards the wall. In the picture there is a floor joist at the back of the arrow. The subfloor is 3/4in AdvanTech. The plan was to remove the subfloor the entire length of the wall out 18in and sister the floor joist to level the subfloor. The gap between the floor joist closet to the wall and the wall is 2.5in. I also wanted to open up the subfloor to move water lines so they come out of the wall instead of the floor. So finally to my question. I assume removing the subfloor up to the wall will considerably reduce the ability of the subfloor to support the wall and the gap between the joist and wall is so small I cannot get anything in there to drive screws into cross braces to add support. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Thanks
Phil
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Is that a load-bearing wall, Phil?

What is the function of the pipe or conduit we see below the wall?

You're sure there is no other framing member behind said pipe under the wall?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
pls

It is not load-bearing
That pipe goes to the sink drain and vent pipe about 3 ft to the left
Using my metal tape to poke around under the wall I do not run into anything other than the next floor joist.
Thanks
Phil
Unread 01-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Only thing I could suggest is that you "let in" a 2x6 or 2x8 at the bottom of that stud wall to allow support from the ends beyond where you cut out the subfloor. That would complicate your moving the plumbing into the wall, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
pls

I decided to leave the 4in of subfloor that is supporting the wall. I will level up to that point by sistering the floor joist and then just use a patching compound to level the last few inches by the wall.

Now my next question. The old tub was a 30in and I would like to replace with a 32in. A 32in tub would leave me with 3.25in of wall on the drain end of the tub. Do you think this will look ok tiled or is that too skinny at the front of the tub?
Phil
Attached Images

Unread 01-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

If I understand the question, 3 1/4" beyond the tub front should be adequate for waterproofing and a tub leg, Phil.

Operative word there is if.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
pls

You understood the question correctly, thanks for your help. 32in tub has been ordered.
Phil
Unread 01-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Do you have any trim, like door casing, that will encroach on that 3.25" space?

Can't quite tell from the photo.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
pls

Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words! It is a left hand drain tub so the right side of the tub is on the wall with the door and I have about 7 inches to the door on that wall. The drain is on the wall shown and is out in the middle of bathroom. Right now I am thinking I will tile the end of the wall.
Thanks
Phil
Unread 02-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
pls

I am putting in an American Standard Cambridge tub. It is an Americast tub. I have the ledger board up and it is dead level. I am using a laser. I have test fitted the tub and when it is in place and I put a level on the top of the back flange it is out of level by about 3/16in and is high in the front. It appears that the black plastic that is on the underside of the tub is thicker at the front compared to the back. Does this sound correct?
Thanks
Phil
Unread 02-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Lots of these tubs are molded poorly. Welcome to our world.

Re-ledger as needed, or properly support the tub then start with a not-whole tile along the top of the tub.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
pls

Thanks. I am going to call American Standard on Monday just to see what they say. Adjusting the ledger board down on the front should help. When I got all of the walls flat and plumb I thought I was done fighting out of square but I guess not.
Thanks
Unread 02-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
pls

American Standard said that 3/16 off of level is within their limits. I ended up moving one end of the ledger board down.

The attached drawing is a top down view of the front of the tub and there will be a shower head on that end. The 3 in with the red line is the part of the wall that extends past the tub and this wall will have kerdi board. The end of the wall with the yellow line is planned to be drywall and no tile. The plan is to use a Schluter profile on the outside corner where the red and yellow line meet. Do I use a vinyl corner bead and joint compound on both sides so the corner is square and then install the profile when the tile goes up?
Thanks
Phil
Attached Images

Unread 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
pls

I may have over promised to my wife on what I could do. When we were in the tile store the salesperson suggested that doing a wide row of glass tile would look good and I said sure I can do that. The glass tile is thinner than the field tile. The field tile is 12x24 and has been installed. The glass mosaic tile are also about 12in wide. My problem is that the area where the glass tile goes is not completely uniform in depth. The bottom corners have two layers of kerdi band and I could have done a better job of making sure the row of tile above and below were completely flat. If I was to install a layer of Ditra under the glass tile the glass tile would stand proud of the field tile in the corners where there are two layers of Kerdi. Could I install the glass tile on a 12 in band of Kerdi and then install that? Or does it work better to apply a mortar bed and screed it off at the correct thickness?
Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Or does it work better to apply a mortar bed and screed it off at the correct thickness?
I think so, and is what I did to install my glass band. Screeding, by using the wall tiles above and below as a guide will provide a nice and flat surface regardless of the undulations of the wall.

I had to do a couple of passes on mine to get it right but it worked really well.

Edit: Don't forget to use a mortar suitable for glass tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase