Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
tkoga

Should have trusted my gut

Greetings this is my first post. Have hired a well regarded contractor to do curbless tile shower in complete bath remodel. During the install I was suspicious that the floor wasn't sloped properly,against my better judgement I thought " well he's a pro..." Long story short- Kerdi membrane, tiled,grouted, checked it and flat spots, not enough pitch doesn't drain properly. Contractor is going to take up tile, repitch and re-do.

My question is: should I insist that he re-do the Kerdi membrane as well, I'm very concerned it will get damaged during removal of the tile.

ALSO, at this point since he's tearing it up anyways, is it worth changing the design and adding a curb ?
Appreciate any advice you can pass on!
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Todd.

If the tile was installed with proper mortar using proper techniques and it's been a couple of days, the membrane will be indeed get torn and damaged with the tile removal. So, you won't have much convincing to have portions of the Kerdi membrane replaced.

Before assuming you need a curb, let's ask some questions: Is the lack of a slope due to a simple lack of available drop from the highest areas down to the drain? What is the height difference and the distance between the highest areas and the drain?

And is this on a slab, or a wooden subfloor?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
tkoga

Thanks for reply, it was on plywood subfloor the slope is about 1/8 " over 14 " on the side that the curb could be placed. The rest of the floor drains fine it's just this one side with the flat spot.

Since this is curbless, it ties in with the rest of the bathroom floor and the membrane runs under everything, The main area has 12x12 tile, the shower floor 2x2. whats the best way to bring the 2 areas together to ensure membrane integrity.
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If the floor has 1/8 in 14 inches, it should drain, just a little slower. If that's the case, I would leave it alone. If it actually puddles and won't drain, then I would have him fix it.

If he does repair it, a slight "speed bump" where the curb would go would help get a little more pitch.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
tkoga

Thanks Davy,
I should have mentioned we have yet to I stall the shower door , my guy says its sealed at the bottom and it should hold the water in ( kohler fluence bypass ). I was unsure if I should rely on that to keep the water in the shower side as opposed to a waterproof curb, seal on the door would strike me as another joint for mold and leaks later . I want it fixed with the minimum of intervention obviously, but certainly want to be sure that it drains properly and it's totally waterproof .

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase