Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
JakeArm

Shower glass clips on curb -- correct way to fasten?

Hi everyone,

First post, but long time reader. I'm in the middle of a bathroom rebuild. I've hired a contractor to do the work instead of trying to DIY it. Still, I've found the info here extremely useful for double-checking my contractor's methods.

We've just finished tiling the shower. It's a traditionally built shower with PVC liner over a mud bed. I'm now planning out the installation of the shower glass. We're getting a custom frameless shower enclosure with a sliding door. It will sit on top of our curb, which was built with lath and mud.

Quick question: how are you supposed to fasten the shower glass to the curb? Everything I read here says that there are supposed to be no penetrations of the curb. But so far every shower glass guy is telling me that they need to screw in a couple of clips to the top of the curb, with a squirt of silicone inside the hole. This is alerting all my spidey senses.

What's the correct technique I should be demanding instead?
Unread 10-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
MTy

Not a pro but it took me forever to find a glass guy that didn't drill through curbs as a matter of course. A couple companies said they would work with me but I wanted to find someone who didn't. Finally did. I have a framless sliding door too. His plan is to drill about an inch into my curb slab(not all the way through) and then cut the screws short and use epoxy and silicone to hold the brackets. He also said he has used double sided 3m tape. His plan seems to be on par with recommendations I've read here.

Glass was supposed to go in today but manufacturer messed up the measurements.

Good luck finding someone though. It's not going to be easy but will be worth the extra time spent.
Unread 10-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jake,

Clear silicone will generally hold just about anything to the top of a curb. The silicone has to cure, though, before the glass is installed. That may have something to to with the reluctance of glass people. They like to finish a job the same day. Epoxy is also an option.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
JakeArm

Thanks John and Eric! Good to know that I'm not completely nuts in expecting the glass guy to do the job without drilling all the way into the curb.

But sadly, as you both said, it's really hard to find someone who's willing to make the effort to do it right. I'm dismayed that the glass industry norm seems to be a clear violation of best practices (and code too, for that matter).

I'll keep asking around. Sounds I'll need to offer to pay more to get someone to come install the clips and glass on two separate days. Sigh.

If anyone on this forum happens to be from the SF Bay Area, do you know any reputable pros who care enough to do this kind of job without compromising the waterproofing?
Unread 10-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
smifwal

I have a company in Kansas City ( I know that doesn't help you) that installs my doors with no drilling. We had to have a heart to heart but in the end they said we can do it "this way". There were a few trys with other companies and I sent them on their way. Don't settle!!! get it done the way you know is right
Unread 10-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with the others, make them do it the way you want. It might take them a few more minutes but will likely add years to your shower. Seems like everything is disposable these days and if it'll last a few years, they think that's long enough. Not so for a shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Our glass installers have not drilled into a curb for the last 25 years. They install in a one day process which is very easy and quite normal;

1- Install 2 glass shims on the top of the curb perpendicular to the glass panel to be installed.
2- Set the glass panel atop the glass shims
3- Secure the glass panel to the wall clips
4- Trim the glass shims flush with the sides of the glass panel
5- Use clear silicone to seal the glass to the curb and hold it in place.
6- Once the silicone cures the glass panel will not budge.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase