Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Scwalkerworks
OCD builder

New tiles covered in mold

Hello everyone!
I've been here for about 4 years but this is my first post. I tried to search for this but wasn't able to find anything.

I'm currently working on installing a marble shower for a client, it's my first time working with marble. As I'm working through the boxes I have noticed that several of them are quite infested with mold. I have a background that includes water restoration and would like to thoroughly disinfect the tiles before using them for the install. Because the tiles are polished natural carrara marble I don't want to expose them to a biocide or mildecide for the required dwell time only to have it at the surface of the tiles.

Is anyone familiar with any kind of biocide or mildecide that wouldnt cause etching? Thanks in advance!
Unread 10-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Allow me to officially welcome you after 4 years....WELCOME!

I don't have an answer for your direct question.

But I do have advice that I mean sincerely. This isn't me tooting off about something...and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say this: I wouldn't install a light marble in a shower if someone held a gun to my head. There is just too much liability with moisture soaking into the tile and making a "wet" spot that is impossible to get rid of unless you stop using the shower for a month between uses. Absorptive material in a shower is rolling the dice on a successful shower build. It doesn't always happen, but who wants that kind of problem that is super expensive and super time consuming to repair? Not me. That's why I say I'd find something else. Yes, the tile is purchased. But that's not a good enough reason to go ahead with a risky install, in my opinion. I'd find a porcelain that looks like marble...many of them are very, very good looking.

Of course it's your choice. But just trying to save the day before it needs saving.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, DJ.

I'm gonna hafta throw the Nonsense card (usta be the bullshit card, but I'm not allowed to say that here) on ol' Goldstein's statement that he'd not build a marble shower if someone were holding a gun to his head. Of course he would! As would any other thinking person.

On the other hand, of someone only said he was afixin' to hold a gun to his head, I doubt he would build the shower.

You need only enter marble shower into our Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles to get a good feel for what he's trying to tell you. We just hear of soooo many problems with such showers that I'm personally thankful that no customer has ever asked that I build one. And before I had the view for years of this website, I would probably have been happy to build one.

Just ain't worth it, as Tonto said. Well, 'cept in the case of the gun as I mentioned earlier.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
Scwalkerworks
OCD builder

Too late haha we're in progress haha here goes nothing!
Unread 10-22-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

We tried, CX..........

We tried.....I even lied my head off about the gun thing (way to blow my cover, CX! ) and that didn't work.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase