Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
David Meiland

Exterior tile balcony in moderate climate?

Forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have a project that involves replacing a balcony that had slate tile on it along with ineffective waterproofing, and it rotted out. My usual tile contractor does not want to replace the tile. He feels like it's got enough risk that it's not worth any possible headache, and he has plenty of other work and just doesn't even need to consider it.

This is near Seattle, we have wet winters and a lot of temperatures in the 30s with a few freezes per year. This particular spot will get some sun but it's in the trees and won't get cooked all summer. It's a typical wood-frame floor system that is plenty stiff.

I've talked to another tilesetter who feels there might be some potential to tile this again with the right materials, and have it survive. Waterproofing isn't really the main issue, because I know that can be done, it's whether there's a grout/thinset system that will hold together long-term.

What is the state of the art? Or should I forget tile and figure out something else?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Builder, remodeler, and general contractor
http://www.bailerhill.com
David Meiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It's a typical wood-frame floor system that is plenty stiff.
No such thing as a typical wood-frame floor system, David. And for an elevated deck system, the framing is critically important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David, about his tile contractor
He feels like it's got enough risk that it's not worth any possible headache,..
Without a good deal more information about the structure, I'd hafta agree with him. Elevated deck systems are among the most liability heavy projects a tile contractor can encounter.

To comment on what could be done in your individual circumstance, we'd need a great deal more detail about what you're working with. And some photos would certainly help.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #3
Kman

Starting with some basics:

1. Is the framing sloped away from the house at 1/4" per running foot?

2. Is the waterproofing layer (if there is one) flashed up the house exterior?

To answer your question, Noble Deck is one of the best. There are others.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
David Meiland

The short version is that the framing is sloped 1/4" and consists of 3/4" T&G over 1-3/4" x 9-1/2" x 12' LVL at 12" OC. I would have to ask the engineer to tell me the deflection, I don't have a calculator for that. The adjacent walls are being stripped above the deck so that waterproofing can be turned up correctly.

The plan for this was originally to use some kind of acrylic or urethane deck coating, but the aesthetics of those systems are challenging in this setting where the design values are fairly high. So far I haven't been able to find anything that looks decently tile-like or stone-ish and would fit in. Everything's monochrome and just not very sweet. So, thinking about whether this could be tiled again.

Builder, remodeler, and general contractor
http://www.bailerhill.com
David Meiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The short version is that the framing is sloped 1/4" and consists...
The requirement is for a minimum 1/4-inch per horizontal foot, David, not for just 1/4-inch total. You have that?

Your decking is "3/4" T&G" what?

Without knowing the manufacturer's specs on those LVL joists I'd be comfortable guessing them to meet the required L/720 deflection for natural stone tile. You'd need a second layer of subflooring for that, though. You also want to know just how those joists are fastened to the structure.

Having the walls open for the application of waterproofing is a plus. I'd still like to see some photos of what you're working with, though, 'specially the "rotted out" areas and/or their repair.

The waterproofing requirements for a tile installation also depend to some extent upon what's below the deck. Is it occupied space? Does the deck have a finished ceiling below it? Etc.

I would second Kevin's recommendation of the NobleDeck for the waterproofing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase