Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #16
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

But I still think it’s time to shop for new tools. Never mind the pipe wrench, as you got that loose. You can look for other stuff. It’s always a good day to look for new tools. And I bet you haven’t gotten any since last year.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
tomaskroupa

Schluter All-Set and Glass

Hi!
How are you all feeling about Schluter All-Set thinset and glass tile over Kerdi? Schluter obviously says "call us" but I am wondering what the conventional wisdom is. I am thinking it will be OK but wanted to ensure.

The glass tile is 4x12 and has a white coating on the back with little ridges.
Unread 01-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

With glass and translucent tile, you want a white thinset and full coverage. If you don't compress all of the trowel ridges, they can show through the tile somewhat in some lighting circumstances, and with some, in a shower, if you don't get full coverage, you might end up with some water behind which will make the effect worse.

I'd burn some thinset on the back of the tile and then make sure you slide the tile back and forth across the notches to try to ensure you've collapsed them all. This will take more work than you'd think. I'd also look into maybe picking up a slant-notched trowel. Rather than leaving peaks and essentially voids, the notches are taller, slanted, and fairly thin. When you move the trowel out of the way, the notches fall over, making an almost flat surface, which makes it much easier to get full coverage with less work while gauging the needed thinset on the surface.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
tomaskroupa

What do you think of this layout?

Hey everyone! I am ready to start cutting and tiling my new shower and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the layout I picked. My shower is quite small (57" wide x 66" tall back wall) and I had trouble figuring out how to position everything around the niche that I really didn't have a lot of choice positioning elsewhere.

My tiles are 12x24 rectified porcelain and I'll be doing a 1/8 grout line.

For that reason I decided to position the first tile below the niche around the center so have a 6" tile around each side of the niche and then I went from there...

Any thoughts from anyone?
Attached Images

Unread 01-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tomas.

I've combined your first four threads on this bathroom project so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

As for the layout, if Mrs. Tomas likes it, I like it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #21
tomaskroupa

Thank you!

Yesterday I started tiling but I think I mixed my thinset way too dry - I had so much trouble collapsing ridges on the tile that I ended up taking everything off and washing the tile to save it. I used Schluter All Set, mixed 10lbs and added exactly 1l of water which is exactly on the low side of Schluter's recommendation...

This morning I decided to sacrifice another 10lbs and do a test with a scrap kerdi board, I mixed with 1.24l of water which is exactly on the high side of Schluter's recommendation and I think the results were much better - I think I got much better coverage (picture attached) and the thinset was easier to work with.

(Tile is 12x24, 1/2 x 1/2" trowel, backbuttered the tile to fill ridges)

Hoping everyone agrees with my assessment of the situation
Attached Images

Unread 01-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #22
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Looks a tad wet. It’s acceptable. And the batch will slightly dry over its pot life as you’re installing tiles.

Can I ask what tools you’re using to mix...and how long you’re mixing...and if you’re giving it slake time and re-mixing? I want to ensure that your first batch wasn’t prematurely drying out on you due to a shorter pot life than you should have due to incomplete mixing or lack of slaking and remixing.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
tomaskroupa

Using a drill and a mixer pad, following instructions from the bag - 5 mins mix, 10 mins slake, 3 mins mix.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase