Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #16
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

The cabinet shown is 72”. Can do two sink bases using two 30” base. Really your call either way.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy
60" isn't much room for two sinks and much else.
No, it isn't, but if Mrs. Teddy has a dedicated make up area you probably don't need a lot of space at the vanity.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Well im half time planning and I have two items to talk about.
First I am in shock at how much two little cabinets might be. I called our local China made imported must assemble place and got a quote for 1130$ for the 60" with 1 24" sink cab and two 18" drawers and 707$ for just a pencil drawer and 15" drawer unit and side panel. This means it would easily go to 2500-3000$ with granite tops. ouch.

I did find a 20 amp breaker that goes to the GFCI by the sink and then to the jetted tub. Electrician is still coming for a look... I'm hoping I can use this for the tile heated floor. But I didn't know the sink was tied into the tub. I had planned on using the sink circuit to add an outlet on other end of counter and maybe go to possible future bidet. Not sure my electrician will let this go. tile maybe only 400 watts but hair dryer could be 1400 or so. I'm sure the Schluter tile heat says to run a dedicated circuit.
Next I am thinking its just a wimpy R 13 or maybe R19 batten in the joist space below the bathroom floor.. and probably not up against the floor. MY poker wire seemed to feel resistance right away until I poked through. I am in the process of re taping and mudding the garage . Started in Aug with plan to finish before bow season but 6 months later it still awaits primer and tape and mudding... most of the nails are showing as I added screws near each nail. The short story was the tape was falling down due to no insulation in outside walls or attic. and never painted. It's all insulated now. hopefully that was my last round with a insulation blowing machine. I'm told since the drywall is so old it should be primed before taping and mudding then primed again and painted.. no motivation at this time for all that. I'm thinking it will be best to demo that 5/8 4x10 or is it 12' drywall to redo the plumbing and add insulation right next to the floor under as much as I can reach which appears to be all of the bathroom and closet. .
Unread 01-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
Elkski

Well Electrician wont let me skimp.
I was thinking I could use the 20 amp dedicated circuit that goes to the GFCI at the sink and then onto the old tub for the tile heat too. But he says the right way is a new 20 amp breaker and run a 12 romex for the tile heat.. it will only cost me 150-200 and getting up in that attic full of blown in insulation. May have to flip a coin to see if me or electricians son goes into the attic to pull it up. Also found out the GFCI at the sink was wired backwards so tub was protected maybe. at least it tripped but outlet wouldn't trip. Check you gfci's with those nifty little checker tools.
Unread 01-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #20
ss3964spd

Remember that you do not need the dedicated circuit for the floor to be on a GFCI breaker. The Thermostat already has one built in.
Unread 01-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #21
Elkski

I know the tile heat controller does not need on a GFCI. I seem to recall running power to a deep single box. or is it a double? But having the tile heat maybe 400 watts on the same circuit as a hairdryer and possible a bidet didn't seem right.
Unread 01-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #22
ss3964spd

I used a single gang, deep box for my Schluter branded thermostat, Teddy. It isn't a terribly tight squeeze either. I have a temporary receptacle installed in the photo below. Don't forget that you need to run at least the cold leads in conduit.
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #23
Elkski

That looks good. I don't see why you need that conduit if the thermocouple go out on the ditra heat directly below the controller. It is good to separate the power and sensing wires.
Unread 01-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #24
Elkski

do you ever feel you are being priced out of the World?

http://www.urbanarchaeology.com/plum...llMounted.html
Unread 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #25
Elkski

I guess these freestanding vanities are popular but who cleans under them. And my walls are 60.25" apart and the sides of this lowes vanity is probably about 58" so you have this dark slot on each side? How do you dust in there? Lots of dust blows around this desert state.
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Elkski

How would this look for a makeup desk? It's for sale locally 125$ I could repaint it but it may look ok on a nice tile floor. Then I would need a vanity that matches it contrasts.

Update forget this desk because the drawers are 100% particle board. Lady said it was a 1970's desk. But how about this concept?
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 01-08-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #27
ss3964spd

There are always trade off's, compromises. I wanted the look of free standing so I'm ok with the small "slots" at each end. Aside from vacuuming there isn't much need to clean under them.
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #28
Elkski

Your cabinets have a small slot on the end? Is that granite on the edge of the toilet wet wall popout? I think a legged cabinet will look good from the master bed.
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #29
ss3964spd

Both of them do, Teddy, about an inch or so. Not easy to see in the photos. All the dark stone is soapstone.
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2021, 07:39 AM   #30
Elkski

very nice looking Dan.. pleasing colors. are those LED lights? is that a medicine cabinet? those sinks look big and very elegant. you have lots of room on counter for each person. I could go with an additional sink area rather than make up table.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase