Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #16
bobiboli

They are within industry standard the worst lippage was around 2mm but there are only a handful of them. Most of the lippage are around 1mm; they are everywhere though so they are somehow obvious.

My tiler is now willing to remove 2 layers of tiles; of course his preference is only to move the first layer. He reckoned removing 2 layers and screed will take over 20 days as he will be doing the re-work by himself (total area 100 sqm - and he has already lost some money because of this)

Question; is it possible to apply self levelling compound over old tiles? I am not entirely sure how the re-work is going to be good given the floor is not flat and sloping
bobiboli is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #17
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The little lippage you see is “somewhat obvious” because of the relatively square edges to the tile, the shallow angle of viewing, and/or how it’s being lit. But that doesn’t mean the installer is burdened with additionally tighter lippage tolerances.

Certainly, many of us installers have agreed to re-work something when a customer isn’t happy, even if it’s technically within standards...even when it comes out of our pocket. We all want customers to be happy. But, by golly...20 days. Oh, boy. That 4 weeks of work represents all the profit from about 9 months worth of work.

I would support swapping out any/all tiles with lippage outside industry standards. But I don’t feel right requiring near perfection.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
JWOrl

You didn't ask about this but I agree with the other one who said the baseboards are too low. I'd go to the store and check out some 5 inch baseboard trim. Be sure to put on your mask before entering the home improvement center.
Unread 01-09-2021, 11:30 PM   #19
bobiboli

Hi All,

Its me again. First of all thanks for all the feedback much appreciated.

My tiler came back to redo the job, i do have to pay him a little bit more to remove the newly laid tiles and the original old tiles. The new tiles came off very easily, took about 2 hours to remove them all. The tiler was quite surprised because they can be re used. Basically, he was saying his guy didnt mix the glue properly (too dry) and he did not back butter them.

Now, we have them all removed and were left with adhesive on the concrete. My tiler advised that he will grind or try to remove them with jack hammer and angle grinder. Then he will patch up the concrete and use some self leveler im certain areas (screed cant be done because it will raise the floor by 2.5 cm before the tile effectively will be higher than the entire door frame).

My question is, do we need to make sure all thinset are cleared? Or the self level should hide them? My tiler indicated that he will only smoothen the thick one and leave the rest. Or does it have to be perfectly smooth, which i dont think its achievable unless we rent one of those floor polishing machine.

I just want to make sure if we get it right because i cant afford another issue. Attached are some photos for reference.

Thanks!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
bobiboli is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase