Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #16
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Flexcolor CQ is UV stable, so it will not discolor with exposure to sunlight like a lot of epoxies do.
Also, #38 Avalanche is going to be the brightest white Flexcolor CQ is offered in, so be sure to grab a paper grout chart from your MAPEI supplier to make sure that color is going to work in your space.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Kat at the Coast

Grout spacing in shower niche mosaic

I am using Kerdi board to tile the shower/tub surround.
So far, it is going fine - the stuff is easy to work with, and I used their pre-built 12 x 12 niche as well.

The interior/backside of the niche is a marble daisy mosaic. My concern is the space between the tile pieces. I have filled in with little bits from the pattern as best I can, but there are still a lot of places - just based on the design - that will have gaps that should be filled in by grout.

I know that sanded grout can span a larger gap, but in my tests, it scratched the marble a lot. So do I just use unsanded and cross my fingers? Mix it a lot stiffer to reduce shrinkage? Sacrifice to the tile gods?
Unread 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The Flexcolor CQ seems to use a smaller and smoother aggregate than some others. I never have seen it scratch marble.....

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
Kat at the Coast

NO Flexcolor CQ in a smaller size at my local big box store... I am having a hard time talking myself into paying $49 when I only need a small scoop or two for this inset.

However, they do carry Ultracolor plus FA - in a small pint sized container for $6. It says, "fine aggregate: and "fast setting".

Anyone with experience on this product with marble?
Unread 12-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kat, you might type Ultracolor into the Advanced Search feature and read some of the discussions about that product. I've not used it, but pay heed to the rapid setting claim. Apparently they're not kidding.

And you might look at post #32 on this thread just down the page from you.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 12-04-2020 at 10:35 AM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #21
Kat at the Coast

Project on hold, a question in the meantime...

While installing the tile on the shower walls, I ran out of mortar - I underestimated how much it would take to do the taping and mudding of the Kerdi Board.

I was unable to find a quality unmodified thinset locally, so I ordered more.
It has since arrived, but now I am in the middle of a huge work project which will go right up to Christmas.

So....in the meantime....the shower niche is a marble mosaic daisy pattern, it went in quite nicely and I filled in the little gaps around the edges with pieces from another "square" of the mosaic.

The marble is very light, (carrera) and I was planning on grouting it in gray to help make the pattern show up a bit better.

The marble has darkened considerably upon installation - but here's the thing - I quite like it that way!!

It has been almost a couple of weeks since it was installed, and it is still darker. It is not the "windowpaning" effect that I have read about - it is very even and lovely. If it were going to stay that way, I'd grout it in white to make the pattern show up.

But if it is for sure going to go back to being lighter, then darker grout would be my choice.

Does marble always lighten back up after a month or so?
If it is still darker after a month - will it stay that way?
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #22
Kat at the Coast

Anybody?

Any answers?
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kat, I don't think anyone out here is gonna be able to answer your question. A photo of your marble might help, before and after, or it might not.

If your darkening is in fact caused by wetting of the stone, then yes, it will lighten as it dries if it dries.

If you like the wet look you might try applying an enhancing sealer to a left over sample to see what it does to your stone. It may develop the shading you want, or it might not. If it does, it's likely to remain that way. Can't say if it will still darken further when it gets wet.

It's not at all an exact science you're dealing with there. We have some folks who know a whole lot more about that sort of thing than do I, but without seeing just what stone you have and just what discoloration you're seeing, even they are not likely to be able to give you a definite answer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 12-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Cx said. I've seen Carrera darken when it's wet and I've seen it stay the same shade. We just never know.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #25
Kat at the Coast

Next step: caulk

Ok, tiles are in, grout is in - looks petty good so far.
Time to caulk. The part I really dread.
I have GE II 100% white silicone caulk, new caulking gun, but the same old me.

Do anyone use or recommend one of the caulk shaping tools?
Unread 01-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #26
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
There have been some recommendations for those shaping tools here, Kat, but I've never used one. Also recommendations for various spray on potions that help with tooling the silicone. I've not used either, but I have used common blue painters tape on both sides of the joint to help control the mess. I place my tape as close to the edge of the tile as possible.

What I have also seen recommended is to not use the GE II silicone, though I forget what the issue was. You might consider a white silicone from Color Rite or Laticrete or one of the other top tier vendors of such products.

Your choice, natch.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #27
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

From my experience, I've found that it's best to buy silicone that is supposed to match the grout you're using. All whites are not the same. I've found that the GE brand is a whiter white than even the Bright white from Custom's.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #28
Kat at the Coast

Success!!

Caulking is done!!

I went to the "Liberry" section, and read 13 pages of DIY caulk posts.

Around page 7 or 8 , I found a link to the video that Stefan Wild posted.
He made it look so easy, and the best part was, he did NOT (whether or purpose or not) lay down a perfect bead of caulk to start with!

That made it seem quite doable, so I used his method and it was easy!!

The plumber comes out Friday morning to add the "trim" pieces - the actually shower head, controls and tub spout.

So the tub and shower will be ready for use after that...all I have to do now is find a rubber ducky....

Oh yeah,..and put up a shower curtain and rod.

Woohoo!
Unread 01-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #29
Kat at the Coast

To Seal or Not to Seal - for this specific situation

I have read until I have a headache - so many conflicting opinions on sealing tile and /or grout.

So for my specific situation:

White ceramic subway tile
white unsanded grout
Carrera marble shower niche

I do not color my hair or use any product in the shower that I can imagine staining...

I am a pretty good house keeper, - as far as wiping down the shower, sink, etc

Pretty hard water where we live

Given the circumstances above - if it were you, would you seal this installation?

If yes, does it have to happen right away - before the shower is ever used - or can it wait till a more convenient time?
Unread 01-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mark me down as, nope, not at all.

But you can if you wanna.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase