Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #31
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Given your 36X72 shower and multiple heads it'll be fine for two.

Are you still considering curbless, Phil? To CX's point; the slope of the foam pan will be fine in the 36" dimension, but may lack in the 72" dimension. In order to determine what the slope will be you need two bits of information on the foam pan: 1) how thick it is at the cut out for the drain and 2) how thick it is at the perimeter. Your goal is 1/4" slope per foot from the farthest corner.

I suspect the foam pan will be at least 1 1/8" thick at the perimeter. If you are also adding Ditra Heat the overall height of the shower floor is going to approach 2". How high can you raise the rest of the bathroom floor without causing a big step up at the entrance to the bathroom?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #32
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Did I miss the multi shower head info? I don't see it in the sketchup
Unread 01-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #33
pls

We are still refining the design. We gave up on the open back design, it took up too much room. Will probably have opening on the side but no door. I will post a sketch when we get closer to a final decision.
The room is gutted. Shower tile was on drywall, wall studs are in good shape. I was surprised. A new window has been ordered. It is long and short (40x17) so we have more room under the window.
Thanks
Unread 01-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #34
pls

For various reasons including hopefully moving the toilet I have removed the subfloor. It is 3/4in Advantech. The floor joists are on 12 in center and are in good shape. Some work needs to be done to make the floor flat. I have a few questions on proceeding
1-For floor joists that are too low are there any methods other than adding a sister joist? Are there ways to add shims or thin strips to the top?
2-Should I go back with Advantech or can I just use 3/4in T&G plywood. Either way another layer of 1/2in plywood is also going down.
3-Are there any problems with adding insulation between the floor joists

I have included a picture of what they did to the floor joist when then plumbed the toilet. They just about cut completely through the joist.
Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 01-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #35
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Phil,

1) You can use drywall shims, install them with a stapler.

2) The only reason I'd want to use advantech is if regular 3/4" T&G B/C Exp 1 plywood turns out to be either slightly thinner or thicker.

3) I can't think of any. Is the space under the bathroom conditioned or unconditioned?

Gonna need to assess that joist, that's a pretty big hunk missing. How long is the joist and where along its length is the notch?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #36
pls

3-it is above conditioned space. Bathroom is on second story

They went 3 for 3 on notching floor joists when putting in the shower drain, tub drain and toilet flange. I will sister these. The toilet is 7 feet from the outside wall and maybe 7 ft to the support wall on the other side.
Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase