Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #46
buldogge

Yeah...

Hey Dan...I assumed as much...but...I could have sworn people here often touted the color consistency of Permacolor Select, in the past.

In your opinion...better to leave well enough alone with any of the really minor pockmarks, and concentrate on the actual missing grout spots?

Better to ignore the 1 or 2 spacer remnants, as opposed to disturbing the grout joint??

TA
-Mark
Unread 01-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #47
buldogge

Well...

I'm finally back to this bathroom project, after the holidays...

While waiting for the tile guy to come good (he didn't), I completed everything else in the bathroom...so, now I need to step-up and do the grout touch-ups and silicone caulking int he shower.

I posted a bunch of pics previously of the various mistakes/pinholes/spacers/etc.

The wife and I went thru with a fine tooth comb, and decided which ones "we" could live with, and which ones to leave well enough alone.

Anyway...Purchased a 1/2 bag-1 pouch color kit of Laticrete Permacolor Select...I'm going to mix the color pouch in a sealable container and add the water/color mix by weight on a digital scale to a smaller portion of the powder base.

Looking for any pointers before getting started...

ie...mix stiff or loose for touch-ups (would assume towards the stiff end of the spectrum).

Any other words of wisdom...

-Mark in St. Louis
Unread 01-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #48
buldogge

A few pics...

Blue tape marks the areas I'm gonna touch up...All have been "excavated" to depth and vertically/linearly to solid grout.

Thanks...
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #49
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Sorry to hear about the contractor. Glad you’re able to make progress on your own.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2021, 11:36 PM   #50
buldogge

Well...

^^^Slowly, but surely.

Still need to do the touch-ups...hopefully have time tomorrow afternoon...trying to come home early from work.

So...Any pointers/suggestions/warnings???

TA
-Mark
Unread 01-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #51
buldogge

Ok...

One last try/call for some guidance...

I have completed all the grout touch-ups.

I have completed all the silicone caulking...

MINUS, one line/junction/seam...and herein lies the problem.

So, my curb , including the sold surface top, is 2" above the shower floor...the Quartz is ~1 1/8" thick, leaving only a 7/8" space to work in. The quartz top has a ~7/16" overhang.

The seam between the quartz top and the thin sliver of tile (thinset exposed) on the inner curb is pretty much inaccessible.

Sure...I could tool in silicone and inch at a time...but...it's gonna be a right mess.

Thoughts?

TIA
-Mark
Attached Images

Unread 01-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #52
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

After caulking the bottom joint, spray with denatured alcohol and use a wooden popsicle stick to tool the joint. Only tool a couple inches at a time between cleaning the stick.

Wait a day before proceeding to the top joint. If the caulk nozzle is integral to the tube, I’d heat it up enough to put as big of a bend in as I could to help reach the underside of you curb. If the caulk nozzle is the screw-on variety, I’d use (2) 45 degree screw-on angle bends.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #53
buldogge

Hey Tool Guy...Thanks for the response.

I reasonably well versed in caulking...I've already caulked all joints, except this top joint. The tile guy (who disappeared) has grouted this bottom joint, only, strangely, and I think I will let that ride, for now.

I have to sheepishly admit...I had never seen/heard of 45 and 90 degree caulk nozzles...just never needed one before, even with a ton of DIY situations.

So...just have to find or order one of these angled tips..Amazon and Grainger both have them...hoping a local store has one on the shelf, instead.

BTW...I'm using Colorite Color-Sil, so no issue with using an angled screw on cap.

Thanks,
-Mark
Unread 01-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
buldogge

Ok...

Well...Everything is done in the new bathroom, minus some cabinet knobs I'm waiting on, a few paint touch-ups, and the re-install of the radiator, which will have to wait until spring, as I don't feel like draining the system in the middle of winter.

Last question, on this project, hopefully...

I used Laticrete Permacolor Select grout...Laticrete says no need for sealer...

Do you guys normally use sealer, in showers, with Permacolor Select...and if so, what sealer(s) do you like???

TIA
-Mark
Unread 01-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #55
buldogge

Bump...

Zero opinions on yay or nah to sealing Laticrete Permacolor Select, in a walk-in shower?

Color is Platinum on walls, and Raven on floors FWIW.

TA
-Mark
Unread 01-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #56
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My take? Since sealers are not permeant I wouldn't bother unless I resolved myself to reapplying it every 6 months.

These day's I'm striving to reduce maintenance.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #57
buldogge

Well...

I agree...I'm just going to leave well enough alone.

So, the bathroom is basically done...still have to hang the pocket door, fab the mirror, and I won't be installing the radiator until the spring, as I don't feel like draining the system, right now, during the winter.

Here's some pics...Just quickly swept/cleared...not fully cleaned.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by buldogge; 01-14-2021 at 05:45 PM.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #58
buldogge

A couple more...

Shower Pics...

-Mark
Attached Images

Unread Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #59
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Turned out very nice, Mark. Some new, some old, nice mix. I especially like the high windows on the entry door wall, lets in some light from the hallway.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase